Nitrite, ammonia, bass and perch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JRagg said:
Yes, the tank will cycle even if you do large water changes. As I stated in my previous post water does not contain much beneficial bacteria at all. The bacteria that you want/need is growing on your tank walls, gravel, and in your filter. 1.0 is the safe level for nitrites, and the same for ammonia. Large water changes are the only way that you will be able to keep those fish alive.

It does however look like your tank is cycling fairly quickly since you're seeing nitrites and nitrates. But in the meantime your nitrite and ammonia levels are too high.

Thanks, I figured that out on my own. My problem was when I was thinking about doing the water changes by syphoning the water from the rocks to clean them, I was thinking it would remove bacteria. So I realised I should just remove the water from the water collum.

Dude, one more thing no one has mentioned and maybe someone else will read in this post is THE 1-2" OF FISH PER GALLON RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO FISH WHICH GROW TO BE TWELVE POUNDS EVEN IF THEY ARE BABIES NOW... Their metabolism (i.e. how much they eat/poop/pee) is wayyy to high to be this overstocked. This rule applies to kind little fish that pick at algae and mosquito larvae, not fish that hog down three dozen 6" minnows twice a day, capeesh?

Along with regular water changes, you may still want to fry up a few of them. Removing some of the fish (I would suggest half) will greatly increase the likelyhood of the rest surviving.

This is debateable, but I would highly suggest vacuming the gravel. Most of the bacteria will be in the filter, and vacuuming the gravel will remove a lot of the extra food and poop from messy eaters.

You may also want to feed them less (tiny minnows, crickets, meal-worms - or store bought food) until your tank fully cycles.

Double check on the local laws - and if your fish are legal, post a pic of your tank. I would love to set up a "local" aquarium but it is illegal just to transport live fish in my state - and I know someone here who was busted due to posts on a forum.

Good luck with your fish!

Back
Top Bottom