Nitrite problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having trouble keeping my nitrites low in one of my tanks. I have a filter with Bio-Falls that is supposed to help with nitrite and ammonia removal and i have an ammonia removal gravel in the filter media holder. The nitrites are still very high. I have also tried water changes and vacuuming the bottom of the tank to remove some of the fish waste. None of this is helping. Does anyone have any idea on what i can do?? And could the abnormal level of nitrites in the tank be a result of living plants that are in the tank.

how often/how much are you doing partial water changes?
I assume its not cycling still.
Do you have any missing fish? If theres a dead fish in there, that would cause the levels to increase until you got the fish out of there.

I was doing a 50% water change once a week. There is only one fish in the tank. It is no longer cycling. There are is nothing dead in the tank. I am baffled.

I would try doing 20-30% water changes every other day and adding a couple teaspoons(depending on the size of the aquarium) of aquarium salt.

thanks for the advice. Its only a 10 gallon how much salt should i use??

I would go with a teaspoon mixed thoroughly with the added water once a week until levels have fallen off.

If the tank is definitely cycled and there aren't any dead fish, decaying food, etc. adding to the problem, I'd look into the filtration system. It's possible that it isn't adequate for the bio-load in the tank. What is the one fish you have in it and how big is it?

He's a largemouth bass, about 3 inches long. The filter is oversized for the tank and a fairyl expensive filter also.

I do have freshwater plants in the tank. Is it possible that they are putting off waste which is causing the problem??

Plants consume the waste that fish produce, so if you have healthy, thriving plants then you would not be likely to see something like this.

How long ago did you set up the tank? When was the last time you read zero ammonia and zero nitrite? Also, I may be wrong but isn't this bass a relatively new fish for you?

I would absolutely recommend getting rid of the ammonia crystals in the filter. You need to assist the bacteria in your tank in multiplying so that you have no ammonia problems - the tank and surfaces in it and in the filter will be your ammonia "filter" biologically.

This is a new bass, however i have had them before without this problem. I read low nitrites and ammonia the first 2 weeks with the fish in the tank. I set the tank up a month ago. I got rid of the ammonia crystals 4 days ago to see what would happen and there was no change. The only thing i did different with this bass is the live plants. I bought a new filter 2 days ago, with a bio-falls system to eliminate nitrites and ammonia. It should take a week or so to develop enough bacteria to make a difference. Hopefully this will work. I'll post an update soon.

do you have the old filter running still?
If you stuck a brand new filter/media in the tank and didnt keep the old one running while the new media matured, you lost a lot of valuable bacteria which would cause your tank to go through a mini cycle.

Jmoore is right: if you pulled the old filter when you set up the new one, you'll go through another cycle process (a good portion of your bio-bugs develop within the filter).

Do you have plans for new accomodations when the bass outgrows the ten gallon tank? I wouldn't expect a three inch bass to be able to stay there for too much longer.

Yes a have a 40 gallon long for him as soon as he gets a little bigger. I just started him in the smaller one because i figured that it would be easier to control conditions in a smaller tank. Now i am thinking that i should just put him in the larger one. When he grows out of the 40 long i am going to put him in a small pond that i am putting in my backyard.

The larger the tank the easier it is to care for. It'll keep your water more stable with less drastic changes in temperature or ph when changing out water. But since you already have this fish in the 10 gal (I'm guessing it's going to cycle since you changed the filter), I wouldn't suggest putting him in a 40gal to cycle all over again... You might try doing a fishless cycle for the 40gal then transferring the bass to that tank.

Are you sure your tank is cycled? The nitrite spike could have been the tail end of the cycling process...

Please post all your tank readings. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ect ect.. :)

In long run i would suggest you tranfer the bass in the 40 gal now. move the 10 gal filter and water to the 40 gal too.

I my experience, any tank >15 gal is very difficult to maintain the water condition.

What light and plant u are having in the 10 gal?

I am using regular bulbs, no special lights. Only one light in the hood because bass prefer lower light conditions. I have a variety of floating plants that float on the surface to provide a mat like cover for the fish simulating natural habitat. I will tank tank readings tonight and post the results. At last check 2 days ago nitrites were still high, nitrates were perfect, and amonnia was up.

If the light is not enuf, the plant will rot, which will result the water quality drop. But probabily you can wait a week or two first as the bulb might provide enuf light for the floating plant.

BTW, not sure what plant u have but for low light surface plant, probabily duck weed might do.

Anyway, not sure which bio fall filter you bought, but the floating plant might clog up the filter if yours is overflow type. Since been two days only you might want to consider a canister filter. A fluval 404 is good enuf for a 40g. Ehiem will be better if you have $$$ to burn.

HTH

I have a Cascade 100 Power Filter good for aquariums up to 20gal. The plants aren't clogging the filt I thought about that already. I think decomposition of the plants might be a problem i'm not sure. They still look good, but there are some brown areas. IDK if this is just what the plants are supposed to look like or if the whole thing is dying.

Back
Top Bottom