nitrites and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenphantom

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the safest most effective way to lower these without stressing the fish and not starting mini cycle

What's the safest most effective way to lower these without stressing the fish and not starting mini cycle

:huh: If you have any nitrites whatsoever, you're still in a cycle. Do pwc's often enough to keep your nitrites below 0.25ppm. Once you no longer have any ammonia or nitrites, and only nitrates, then you are cycled. Once that has happened, then perform pwc's often enough to keep your nitrates at your desireable level, which depends on your stock. Most fish can handle 20-30ppm nitrates, but there are some more sensitive species where you don't really want your nitrates above 5-10ppm. What is your current stock??

Ok here we go the lfs told me its something in my tap water? So this is what I did a large 50% water change cleaned all the gravel, plants, etc. I have a 120 gallon fish tank with all kinds of stuff in killies, about 8 different species of plecos about 4 different species of catfish I have snails angel fish I have 2 hob filters aquaclear 110 and a giant whisper filter a power head um sorry hard to remember everything I have alot of live stock. If I remember anything else I will let you know also this tank has been up and running for a year so I should not be cycling I had a bad algae problem that's what made me get the water tested. So I will have it tested today and see what I am at. My lfs was trying to sell me chemicals to fix the nitrate problem and my wife was agreeing with them but I REFUSE TO PUT ANY CHEMICALS IN MY TANK NEVER

Back
Top Bottom