no ac tank temp rising..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My ac broke, and my tank went to 86 today. I floated a tupperware of ice this afternoon, which helped sort of.. any other ideas to keep temp down?

Take top off if fish won't jump, if will try to prop up lid an inch, try to put any airpumps lower down, blow a fan across water, if you have a window fan switch it so it sucks out, keep cold air trapped from the night trapped in your house with windows closed and curtains drawn, there's a few ideas hope that helps

Try and keep the temperature at a steady temp, because if it drops too much, it will stress the fish out which will lead to disease.

Main thing I think is keep out of direct sunlight because temp will rise durin the day and fall at night which isn't too ideal for your fish.

Yeah, I'm concerned mostly about temp fluctuation..going from hot to normal, so I did a 50 % water change with water that was the correct temp everytime it went above 85

Increasing aeration will help also, a gradual change in temperature isn't going to do anything, what do you think happens in the wild every day? Keep a fan on and aerate it. It'll be okay, don't worry.

My AC went out on Memorial day weekend. Not sure if you remember how hot it was then, but my house was 92 degrees that Monday until we convinced someone to come do their job on a holiday. As said, gradual increases won't hurt anything. My ich treatment recently kept the tank at 88 for a little over 2 weeks, and as cool as it is today here, I doubt you have any real issues. Fans will help move air, especially if you open a couple windows and get some circulation. Adding agitation will help too, of course you'll have some additional evaporation occuring

Back
Top Bottom