Noobie - what fish are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterjvh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I'm new to the fish world and started my 30 gallon tank before joining this forum. I live in Thailand and bought five of each of these little beauties from a decent local shop. Fish and fish supplies are abundant and inexpensive here so there is little barrier to getting into this enjoyable hobby. Although I speak the language fluently and read fairly well, I find the locals have there own names for many species. I was told these two fish are the same species but different colors (??) but don't know the English name. I was also told they are good community fish and hardy.
Can somebody help me? Should be an easy one for you experts. :D
Thanks in advance.
Peter

Attachments

• image-1519986783.jpg
    image-1519986783.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 157
  • image-2131534383.jpg
    image-2131534383.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 157
im no expert but the first looks like a neon tetra mabye and the 2nd looks likke wcmm( white cloud mountain minnow)

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Hi they are white mountain cloud minnows. The dark one its a normal colour female(big belly) the other one its albino male. They come from China. They are easy to keep and the males do a fantastic mating dance with each other. I currently have 4 which ive had in my community tank for 2 years. Great fish

Hi,
Thanks for the super-quick response! I had 5 of each, but one of each jumped to there death (out of tank) while swimming upstream against the current of the outflow violet glass. Now there are eight.
I haven't seen the courtship ritual that you mention yet. Will try to figure out how males and females I have.
The standard colored ones (not the albinos) have very nice coloring with bright green fringes on both the dorsal and anal fins. Very pretty indeed. Also, have found them to be calm and comfortable very quickly in their new surroundings. Even when putting my hands in the tank they don't mind a bit, almost swimming among my fingers. Glad the shop recommended them!
Peter

Back
Top Bottom