Now I remember why I hate buying fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Seems like every time I get new fish, they bring some form of trouble with them. I really like all my fish and would do almost anything to save them. I have been treating my 26g tank for what looks like some possible Ich. One of the new Loaches had (and still has) a white spot that looks like it could be Ich. The fish were all doing fine for a few days in warmed water and 1/2 dose of Aquarisol along with a bit extra salt and daily water changes.

Then today, I get home from work and one of my Cherry Barbs had gone to hell. It looked fine yesterday, today it has white fin edges and is slowly plumping up like a pinecone (Dropsy). The fish is also breathing fast. Not good! Some combination of the warm tank water and medicine did not treat the Barb well.

This brought me to a touch choice. Do I keep up the Ich treatment for a few more days, or bring the tank back to "normal"? If I keep up the Ich treatment, I have little doubt the Cherry Barb would die. If I put the tank back to normal, the Cherry Barb has less of a chance to die, BUT, I put all my other fish at risk if there is Ich in the tank.

So, I pondered it for a bit, and decided to go for trying to save the Cherry Barb since it looks pretty bad. The Ich is also just a possibility. Only one fish in the tank may have it, and it is only one spot. So... I lowed the tank down to 83F, did a small water change, and put carbon in the filter to start removing the Aquarisol.

Now that I have done this, the tough part begins. I get to sit, and wait while I kick myself in the tushie for getting new fish with no QT. Also, I am sure that as soon as the Barb gets better or dies, Ich will overrun my tank even though it looks fine now. Meanwhile I need to hope that whatever the Barb has does not spread and force me to mass-medicate the tank. I can deal with one problem at a time, but this just sucks. I feel like I am going to be screwed no matter what I do :(

Quick version... Tank currently at 83F, no meds. One fish possibly with Ich, another fish turning into a pine cone and having its fins turn white. What would you do?

I don't know about your other fish, but the barbs tolerate heat very well as long as there is plenty of oxygen in the water. (i.e. a bubble stone in addition to whatever else you may already have)

My tank got itch, the fish started having the same things your barb did. I read a book that suggested a heat treatment for 10 days at 90F. I know, sounds hot... I didn't lose any fish and within 3 days 99% of the spots where gone, but the book said you should continue the treatment because once they fall from the fish they still reproduce for 3 days and can attach again. My plants were looking very bad, but they survived and now are beautiful... It was pretty scary because I could see steam comming out of the water!! 8O But it worked.
I did that and never had any itch again! :lol:

My Barbs have done OK in the past with 88F water while undergoing Ich treatment. I have honestly never seen one of my fish get sick the way the Barb has gotten sick. This morning the Barb looked better, but it could have been from getting some rest. Tank is down to 82F now. The spot on the Loach hasn't moved or changed. I am hoping it is not Ich. Presumable Ich would have "moved on" by now...

Back
Top Bottom