nuking the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive got an aquarium that I'll be re-scaping and restocking. Ive got all the fish out of it and its only current inhabitants are a crap load of pest snails and a lot of Black/Green hair algae. Id rather kill as many of the snails and as much of the algae before I tear it down so as to minimize the amount of both that I put down my drain.
Im not concerned at all about the BB in my filtration as Im pretty sure that my filters are also loaded with snails and algae.

Whats the best way to do this? Just pour in a bunch of bleach and let it cycle through the tank and filters for a while? Im open to suggestions.

For now Im going to pour in some Hydrogen Peroxide. I dont think that does anything to the snails, but hopefully it will start making a dent in the algae.

Ive got an aquarium that I'll be re-scaping and restocking. Ive got all the fish out of it and its only current inhabitants are a crap load of pest snails and a lot of Black/Green hair algae. Id rather kill as many of the snails and as much of the algae before I tear it down so as to minimize the amount of both that I put down my drain.
Im not concerned at all about the BB in my filtration as Im pretty sure that my filters are also loaded with snails and algae.

Whats the best way to do this? Just pour in a bunch of bleach and let it cycle through the tank and filters for a while? Im open to suggestions.

For now Im going to pour in some Hydrogen Peroxide. I dont think that does anything to the snails, but hopefully it will start making a dent in the algae.

Take the filters off and run them on another tank so you don't lose your bio filter and end up having to re-cycle the tank.

After that you can just pour a mild bleach solution and algaecide into the tank to kill the snails and algae. Rinse everything really really well, with dechlorinator to get rid of any risidual bleach, and re-scape and refill.

Yeah, take out your filter and rinse it in some water that you've treated with prime, etc, then nuke the tank with bleach, wait overnite, next morning, rinse clean, wipe down, and G2G. Bleach=Ultimate control lol

Back
Top Bottom