Nutrafin Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought Nutrafin Cycle on the reccomondation of a pet store employee thinking it was pure ammonia used for getting my tank cycle started.
Now I read the back and I'm not so sure. What is this product used for?

I bought Nutrafin Cycle on the reccomondation of a pet store employee thinking it was pure ammonia used for getting my tank cycle started.
Now I read the back and I'm not so sure. What is this product used for?

That product is supposed to allow the immediate addition of fish by introducing the bacteria your tank needs. It usually doesn't work well. Most products like these have the wrong type of bacteria.

I did a couple experiments with ATM's Colony and found that the tank still cycled as if I nothing was added. Still had ammonia and nitrite spikes. Try it out and let us know your findings.

Testimonials From Other Sites

Seem to back up the theory that Tetra Safe Start actually works. I'd love to hear anyone else's feelings on this.

I was incredibly impatient while cycling my first tank. I tried nutrafin cycle, and then tetra safe start. Neither one seemed to do too much, because it still took about 6 weeks to cycle. One thing that seemed to speed it up a little was buying an "active" filter from angelsplus.com

From what I understand about Tetra Safe Start you add it right before fish to insure the bacteria you're adding don't starve, well obviously not "right" before but close to the time you add them. I've also heard this with established filter media is almost a lock. I've never tried it, but I'd like to.

Seem to back up the theory that Tetra Safe Start actually works. I'd love to hear anyone else's feelings on this.

TTS works, but you have to add it 24 hours after using any type of ammonia detoxifier. Dechlorinators and such will wreak havoc on the TTS solution, making it ineffective.

Dr Tim's One and Only works as well. All the other bacteria additives have not been worth the plastic it is housed in.

Just my .02.

David

Right on David.. Dr. Tim's One and Only and TSS are one in the same and both are the only BB in a bottle i know to work. I've tried TSS and it helped cycle my tank fast.

IME and when i cared enough to research the topic, i came across this interesting read that sums things up.. I agree with the author:

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Bacteria_bottles,_do_they_work%3F

And the actual scientific journals in case anyone cares:
http://www.drtimhovanec.com/Publications/ScientificPapers/ScientificPapers.html

This is why i chose to use TSS and why it actually worked for me.

Note: I only used TSS because when i got my first tank, when i returned to the hobby years later, i didn't have access to an established tank's media. After my first tank cycled and was well established, i "seeded" my other tanks from that point forward. I think TSS is useful in these types of situations.

Since I have some people knowledgeable With TSS, how often after following the steps involved did you do pwc s? Are they needed often with initial setup and testing? Or is it careful monitoring and the set it and forget it mentality.? I might suggest this to a friend

Since I have some people knowledgeable With TSS, how often after following the steps involved did you do pwc s? Are they needed often with initial setup and testing? Or is it careful monitoring and the set it and forget it mentality.?
I wouldn't do any water changes for at least a week after adding TSS, and I would feed very lightly during that time period. Do not vac the gravel or disturb the filter media in any way during the same week. I would still test the water to make sure it is not out of control and would only do water changes if it is an immediate threat to the inhabitants.

What size tank and what fish are going into this tank?

David

Back
Top Bottom