Observation: One oto is huge and the other is small.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
Both of my Otos were the same size when I got them, but now one is huge!!

Somewhere, somebody wrote, "a happy otos is a full oto." When you look at the belly of an oto who has been eating well, it looks full and round like a green pea.

Well obviously on of my guys eats much more than the other. No only is he probably 3 time the mass, but his stomach is full and probably the size of a lima bean!
8O

:? Ummm....I guess. I got them on the same day out of the same tank at Petsmart.

Are you thinking that one is something else like a SAE? Tonight I will try to scrutinize the stripes on them.

yes.. thats the first thing that crossed my mind.. the last time I was in a LFS I saw a bunch of little fish they just called algae eaters.. there was at least 4 different patterns on them.. good luck :)

Update: I checked out my otos and they both look exactly the same (an neither one looks like a SAE) One of them is just much bigger and a better eater. Maybe the little guy is stressed?

Anyways, I picked up a third oto to kick up the cleaning a bit, and it might also reduce stress since they like to be in groups.

Thoses otos are fun to watch!

I have a really large oto and two smaller ones. I believe that the females are generally larger than the males. So I would say you picked up a male and female.

Back
Top Bottom