Huge betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAvs21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Betta that I've had for almost 2 years. Have been feeding him the same diet for about 8 month or so. 1-2 hikari Betta gold pebbles each morning and 1-2 frozen bloodworms each evening. He also is a pig of course and ends up eating some of the albino Cory's food sometimes. Just 2 weeks ago I noticed his stomach mainly is ridiculously huge, and a portion of him near his back fin is also pretty big compared to rest of body. When I noticed that 2 weeks ago I didnt feed him at all for a day and a half, then I only fed him 1 hikari pebble in the evening every 2 days. I knew he eats some of Cory's food so I know he wouldn't starve. Now he is still the same size after 2 weeks of lowering the food. I have read blanched skinned peas are good for constipation and am going to get some tomorrow and try to feed, but still wondering if anything else I can do as well? Or what this may be if not bloating from constipation? I did notice he pooped yesterday. It was a pretty good and long one from what I normally would expect to see from him. Or since a portion of his body near the back fin is big also could he just be obese and I've been feeding him too much and it's catching up to him now? I have known about general rule of thumb stomachs are size of their eyeball and I'd say the pebbles I give him need 2 to make size of his eye, and usually with bloodworms 1 of them would be the size of his eye. Which is why I say 1-2 of each food as sometimes he gets 2 bloodworms by accident so I only give 1 pebble the next morning.
Betta has normal good behavior, his behavior has not changed at all.
I will attach some pictures, but they don't show it very well. I tried for a while to get good angles to show it but the pictures don't look near as big as it does in person.

He is in a 10 gallon tank with 5 albino Cory's and 3 nerite snails. Tank is fairly heavily planted.
Test and change 20% water every weekend.
Ammonia and nitrite always 0, and nitrates either 5ppm or 10pm on my API master test kit.
Have been using the same fertilizers and food for all fish in tank for at least 6 months. Nothing has been changed or altered really for quite a while, other than 1 new nerite about 2 months ago who is healthy himself.

Appreciate any help and advice as this Betta who is named Vader is my favorite fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_191234939.jpg
    IMG_20220429_191234939.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220429_191311483.jpg
    IMG_20220429_191311483.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 32
Hello. Welcome to the community.

I would do a few 20% water changes, maybe about 3 days 1 each day and then every other day. Sometimes, just getting a bunch of fresh water through the tank can really help the fish. Who know's what could be the help in the fresher clean water is really, but good to help the little guy possibly get back on track.

Also I would use Epsom salt (Magnesium) treatment.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html

It can help with osmosis and help with constipation. (Think Milk of Magnesia which is a human treatment for constipation. Do not use Milk of Magnesia, just an example).

The thread describes what and how to use it. If you have questions about using the therapy ask it there (a help to others possibly who read it later).

Using Epsom salt has helped save lots of fish, especially Betta's in my experiences.

Thank you for response. I tried asking in your thread but it says over 608 days old and won't allow me to reply.
I don't have a hospital or quarantine tank setup.
I am a little nervous to do this in main tank, would a 5 gallon bucket with a heater, some floating plants, suction a hammock to side, and run down to pet store see if I can get a Betta log or something else for him be an ok hospital tank for the time during Epsom treatment? The bucket would have to stay in the bathroom with door closed since I have a cat and he'd be pretty isolated.

https://youtu.be/zlZWWjGuFA8

A bucket, plastic tote is fine if you dont have a spare tank. You need something to move water round and oxygenate the water. Either a filter or airstone. Do you have power supplies in the bathroom to run a tank?

5g should be fine. My QT for small fish is only 10 litres (2.5g).

Yes I have some power outlets in bathroom, I have an extra air pump and a spare mini sponge filter, and extra thermometer I can throw in there too.
What would you recommend as far as feeding during this treatment period?

You might try the cooked peas. A turkey baster to remove uneaten pieces.

You are using the glass 5G, and you can observe him?

The Epsom Salt /ES, is okay to use in an aquarium with plants. There could be some type of sensitive variety plant I suppose. I have used it with Anubias, Crypts, green, bronze, red, Parva, Crispatula, Java, Christmas Moss, Peacock, Dwarf Vallisnaria, Dwarf Hair Grass, Dwarf Sagittaria, Repens Staurogyne, Java Ferns, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Tricolored Water Lily, Subwassertang, Ludwigia repens x arcuata.

It will be a clean bucket that I only use for clean water during water changes, won't be able to see through it but should be able to view him ok from the top and when he's at an edge of bucket I should be able to view his side appearance. I trust you it's safe with plants and snails and all, but I am just a very paranoid person and would feel better about doing it in a separate tank/bucket if possible.
I'm about to leave to town to get pure Epsom salt, will stop by the pet store as well, see if I can find a cheap 5 gallon tank to have so I can see his side view better.

I ended up finding a 5 and a half gallon aqueon and got that. Got it all set up and used 2 gallons from main tank and 2 gallons of fresh water to fill it. Started the Epsom salt treatment and tried to get him to eat some blanched skinned pea with no luck. He takes it but spits it out immediately.
Is there any other food good for constipation I should try or just keep trying peas until he hopefully eats one. Also should I be feeding him any of his regular diet? Either the pebbles or bloodworms? Or let him go awhile without eating at all if he doesn't take a pea?

Can you get Brine Shrimp, or frozen Brine shrimp?

Brine Shrimp can have a laxative effect which can help of course.

IF you are feeding the blood worms that are freeze dried, make sure that you soak them in water a couple minutes. The dry worms have been indicated in bloating / digestive issues. Many fish might not have issues. If you do have a fish with those issues it would be a possibly helpful additional step.

And what does his poop look like?

One additional thing is that although these fish are protein eaters, not getting enough roughage could be an issue.

Make sure the pea is cooked to a bit mushy, and give the fish the inside parts, not the outer round pea covering. There are 2 halves and a germ (sprout part).

Buckets can work alright but I have lost too many fish, not being able to see them and that bother's me since I feel like I can't tell if additional help is needed. Glad you got the Aqueon. Just to me, more peace of mind.

This food contains peas. You can check if there are any other kinds that do.

Another food which might help.

New Life Spectrum Probiotix Small 60g This food has probiotic ingredients which can be beneficial to digestion. My fish like it.
https://www.feedspectrum.com/products/nlsprobiotix

Omega One Super Veggie Kelp Pellets
https://www.omegasea.net/products/veggie-pellets-small-floating.aspx

Last edited:
Thank you, I will get some frozen brine shrimp today and try a little of that and see if I can find one of those other foods in town, if not I'll order some.
Tried again with the peas and still no luck.
His poop looks normal from what I'm used to and my knowledge but I will attach a picture as well since he passed a turd yesterday evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_104545668.jpg
    IMG_20220501_104545668.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 28
Thank you, I will get some frozen brine shrimp today and try a little of that and see if I can find one of those other foods in town, if not I'll order some.
Tried again with the peas and still no luck.
His poop looks normal from what I'm used to and my knowledge but I will attach a picture as well since he passed a turd yesterday evening.

So is that a really long poop with a clear space between the brownish parts or just a brownish part?

If just the brownish part that would be good. If there is a clear part it could indicate the fish didn't eat, but also would be possible to keep watch of the poops to make sure it isn't mainly clear and white which could also indicate internal parasites.

But the clearer parts can indicate constipation.

Thank you for the information, I will pay closer attention the next times he goes, but unfortunately I did a water change shortly after taking that picture so can't inspect it closer.

I started this epsom salt treatment last Saturday afternoon. It is now the following Saturday morning (7 days). I notice in the ES treatment thread it says after 7-14 days you can re dose the ES with 1 teaspoon per gallon rather than the first initial does of 1 tablespoon per gallon. I was wondering if it would be okay to re dose today with the 1 tablespoon per gallon again? Betta looks to be the same size. Hasn't got worse but hasn't got better. I tried many times with the blanched, skinned, and cut into small pieces of peas. No luck. So I've been underfeeding him still and when I do feed it is the frozen thawed out brine shrimp, or the new life spectrum probiotics. He has only pooped 3 times since being in this ES treatment tank. The last 2 I was able to inspect before changing water and they did have the clear spots in the poop. Quite a bit of clear spots. I looked carefully, they didn't appear to be white at all, just clear. He still acts normal and will swim up to me when I come up to tank, and he still is very excited about getting fed as well.

Thoughts on re dosing the epsom salt at 1 tablespoon per gallon again today? Or the possibility of it being something else like parasites I need to medicate for?

Clear poop with normal parts can indicate not eating much.
ES can continue at 1 tablespoon per gallon. It won't hurt.

But why not eating.

How many / much water change have you done daily?

And you can't get any antibiotic medication, none sold for fish??

Do you have a ranch store, for farms, that has Safeguard Liguid Goat Dewormer?

I've been doing the 50% water changes every evening.

I was thinking I shouldn't be feeding him a normal amount since he is bloated? Is that wrong? Should I be feeding a normal amount still? I have been feeding him only once a day right before a water change instead of the twice a day I used to do. And each time I feed I've been giving him roughly just a little bit less than the size of his eyeball.
Everytime I feed he is excited to eat and finishes all of it, unless it's a pea I'm trying to give him.

I'm sure I could get some medications in local pet store or online if needed, I just haven't came across any information on medicine for constipation and I wasn't sure if I should be medicating for anything else if I don't think it's a parasite or anything like that? But I'm not sure, I'm open to any ideas on medication that you would think I should be using as well as the Epsom salt.

Well if it seems the amount of poop is reasonable for how much he's, eating you can add the pelletin the morning and he eats it you add another one, for a few pellets. He also needs strength to heal. Main things are not ending up with left overs.

He could have a tumor inside and putting pressure on something making him feel bad.

I'd try 85-100% pwc this week and see if it helps. Try getting ahold of one of the other foods. Sometimes independent fish stores are given samples of foods. You could ask them if they have any samples for foods. You could also email the companys of the foods I mentioned above and ask if they can send you samples of foods for Bettas.

Back
Top Bottom