Odd False Julii Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Karoti

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently acquired 4 Julii Cories. I bought them in 2 batches of 2.

I purchased the first two about a week ago. I just assumed that I was getting False Juliis since they are the prevalent species. I noticed that one was larger and had much darker markings than the other one, but these are my first cories and I chalked it up to different age or sex.

Fast forward to today. I got the second pair (at a different LFS than the first two). This pair is younger, but they clearly have the same darker markings as the one cory in the first pair. The "oddball" cory of the bunch has more delicate markings. He is also much more shy. He will swim with the others, but he is always the first to run and hide when spooked and the other three seem to be over-the-moon ecstatic about hanging together and the oddball, while he will swim with them, it is not all the time and not as enthusiastically.

So I'm starting to wonder if I got a "real" Julii Cory mixed in with the Falsies. Or is this just a different strain of False Julii? I've compared them to pictures of both on the internet, but I just can't tell. I wouldn't classify his markings as "spots" necessarily, but they are definitely different than the other three.

I am providing links to the pictures I uploaded below.

This pic shows the darker-marked ones, clearly False Jullis:
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Mama Karoti's Album: 10 Gallon Planted - Picture

The following pics show the oddball one. I had to take multiple pics to get his different body parts b/c he's so shy.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Mama Karoti's Album: 10 Gallon Planted - Picture

Sorry I am no help, but what kind of camera are you using? The pictures look so clear and crisp. They are adorable and are so selling me on the thought of cories!!! Hopefully someone else knowledgable will help out!

Hi. I just used my camera on my iPhone 4S. I had to take several shots before I got some good ones, and I had to be patient because he kept running away to hide!

Back
Top Bottom