Ok, getting serious now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been slowly learning about my fish, making mistakes and getting some things right. But i've decided to try to get my two tanks "right" before starting a third bigger tank. I am willing to re-home almost anybody in order to make everybody happy.

Current tanks

10 g planted tank-
one oto
4 neon tetra
3 female betta
Yes, I know this is overstocked and that I need 5 neons for a school. So who should I move?

20g tank- all artificial plants, hiding spots.

5 glowlight tetras
Two zebra danios
One leopard danio (they seem to school together?)
Three tiger barbs
One rainbow shark - juvenile . (yes, he is one of my mistakes and why I need to upgrade to a 55g when I scrape together the $$- lots of affordable set ups on craigslist in my area)

I recently read the tiger barbs should be in a bigger school, and saw a recommendation that the oto should be in a school of at least 10!?

So obviously the rainbow shark has to go, but once he is gone who do I need to move or add?

Both tanks are well heated and filtered and have good water etc...

10 g planted tank-
3 oto
10 neon tetra

5 glowlight tetras
5 zebra danios
1 leopard danio (they seem to school together?)
3 female betta

changes made above....

I removed barbs because they can get so aggressive with other species if the barbs are not kept in a large enough school, which your tank cannot maintain.

I would've removed the female bettas altogether because I prefer to see really experienced fishkeepers attempt multiple bettas in a tank. I'm giving you the benefit of a doubt on that one. ;)

The otos do not require schools of 10, 3 is usually good but as with otos and corys, the more the merrier.

Unless your male betta has proven himself to be the sweetest thing ever, I wouldn't do it. I think you could have either the betta or the neons, not both. Just my 2 cents.

FYI, the recommendation on otos is 1 per 10g due to food availability. 3 in a 10g would need fairly regular supplementation. It's perfectly fine to have 3 in a 10g (and they're really nifty critters), but they won't be self sufficient.

Oh, and thanks for the vote of confidence on the multiple females. I am quite devoted to them and strive to keep them as happy as possible!

And yes, I'd love to have someone else in the 10g cause tho neons are pretty in a group, but I like the added personality and visual interest of a Betta or ... Dwarf gourami? Or...

Unless your male betta has proven himself to be the sweetest thing ever, I wouldn't do it. I think you could have either the betta or the neons, not both. Just my 2 cents.

I've heard of neons nipping male bettas in smaller tanks too. Males in smaller community tanks can be completely hit and miss, unfortunately.:confused:

Oh, and thanks for the vote of confidence on the multiple females. I am quite devoted to them and strive to keep them as happy as possible!

And yes, I'd love to have someone else in the 10g cause tho neons are pretty in a group, but I like the added personality and visual interest of a Betta or ... Dwarf gourami? Or...

I like honey gouramis :3

So I am seeing on another thread what could be competing information about otocinclus in a 10g. Some say one is ok, others say it must be three- but three is too many for a ten. Is that why I should feed them algae wafers-- is it about the space limitation or the food limitation?

It's borderline. Here you see conflicting philosophies on stocking. Three otos CAN be put in a 10, but there will not be enough food for all of them. You could put just one in there, and he'll have a decent amount of chow (still should supplement), but he'll be lonely and shy. Different people will approach this stocking conundrum differently.

I personally error on the side of not ramrodding a fish into a suboptimal setup, but my stocking philosophy is very touchy-feely like that.

I agree... I like happy fish! The guy at the LFS suggested one because they stay small. So I could move him into my 20g and get him some friends. What algae eater would be happy in 10 g?

So I have been slowly learning about my fish, making mistakes and getting some things right. But i've decided to try to get my two tanks "right" before starting a third bigger tank. I am willing to re-home almost anybody in order to make everybody happy.

Current tanks

10 g planted tank-
one oto
4 neon tetra
3 female betta
Yes, I know this is overstocked and that I need 5 neons for a school. So who should I move?

5 glowlight tetras
Two zebra danios
One leopard danio (they seem to school together?)
Three tiger barbs
One rainbow shark - juvenile . (yes, he is one of my mistakes and why I need to upgrade to a 55g when I scrape together the $$- lots of affordable set ups on craigslist in my area)

I recently read the tiger barbs should be in a bigger school, and saw a recommendation that the oto should be in a school of at least 10!?

So obviously the rainbow shark has to go, but once he is gone who do I need to move or add?

Both tanks are well heated and filtered and have good water etc...

I would move the oto into the 20 gal and get it a couple buddies. I recommend stocking no more than 1 oto per 5 gals, and in groups of atleast 3. I would then add atleast 2 more neons so you have a proper school. I would say those bettas don't belong in the same tank together, but if there isn't any flaring/chasing/nipping going on, then I guess it's fine..atleast for now, but IMO/E keeping one betta per tank is best for them.

If your 20 gal is a 20L then it's fine for danios, but you want to have a school of about 6. If it's a 20H then it's not long enough for danios. I don't think tiger barbs belong in a 20 gal at all, but if you're planning on getting that 55 they could go in there. You want to up the school to atleast 6, but I've heard they are less aggressive when kept in larger schools.

Ok, so the rainbow shark and the tiger barbs are now out of the tank!

You know, I just want to say there are two kinds of research on how to stock your tank. 1) Internet research/ LFS and 2) AA research! I'm so glad I found you guys.
Anyway...

The three female Bettas are in the 20 g now and I am keeping a close eye on them- they have lots of hiding places etc.

I've read that otos like heavily planted tanks. My 10g where he is now is planted but the 20g is all artificial for now. (I'm planning on planting it, but need to get the lights, etc). Would he be happier by himself in my 10g planted, or with friends in the 20g artificial?

So I'm thinking of a whole new thing now-

Put the neons in the 20. Rehome the crazy danios. Get celestial pearl danios for the 10.

That's a great plan! For the oto, it's hard to say. How long have you had the 10 and 20 established for?

The ten has been up and running for at least two years, slowly moving real plants in and artificial out. The 20g is under a year old, probably more like 6-8 months. I didn't know about fishless cycling then but started stocking slowly and nobody has perished in that tank.

I have every intention of planting that tank but I am completely out of dough and need a good light, probably an upgraded filter etc, so I imagine it won't be for several more months before I start that.

Since both tanks are mature enough for oto's, it comes down to which would be better, planted or being with others of it's own kind. Personally, I feel like being with other otos is more important. If it were me, I would move it into the 20 and add atleast one more for now, and maybe add the third a little down the road when the tank has better lighting and plants. :)

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I've moved some of the fish around and I can say that the fish people already seem happier in both tanks. I'll wait a week or so and implement phase two just so no one gets stressed. Truly, this forum is the best!

Back
Top Bottom