Old API Master Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some of you may know that recently I had bought my girlfriend a 20g long and currently in the process of cycling. We added nutri cycle yesterday so I don't think it is completely cycled yet.

Today I found an older version of an API test kit, and used it. Her parameters are
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Could it be possible the test kit is not accurate?

(it is a liquid test)

The Nutra-Fin cycle doesn't help you much with the tank cycle at all. Usually those bacteria in a bottle products do not contain the right nitrifying bacteria or they are dead. Adding them won't produce any ammonia.

Did you add any source of ammonia?

bruinsbro1997 said:
The Nutra-Fin cycle doesn't help you much with the tank cycle at all. Usually those bacteria in a bottle products do not contain the right nitrifying bacteria or they are dead. Adding them won't produce any ammonia.

Did you add any source of ammonia?

I haven't added any yet but I was planning to throw one of my bio wheel in there or one if the cartridges to speed it up.

Thanks for the advice, how would I go about adding ammonia? I heard some advice on just throwing some fish food in there, I am not too eager to buy pure ammonia.

Cornstar said:
Thanks for the advice, how would I go about adding ammonia? I heard some advice on just throwing some fish food in there, I am not too eager to buy pure ammonia.

Pure ammonia is the best way to go if fishless cycling. Fish food is messy and won't give off nearly enough ammonia. Your other option is fish in cycling. Same amount of testing as fishless just more PWC.
Have a read though these and then you can make up your mind what kind of cycling best suits you.
FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

You can try fish food but it can get messy, same with raw shrimp. I've always heard putting it in a pantyhose.

What's wrong with pure ammonia? You can always get a gallon of it that will last you for life at your nearest Ace Hardware :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
You can try fish food but it can get messy, same with raw shrimp. I've always heard putting it in a pantyhose.

What's wrong with pure ammonia? You can always get a gallon of it that will last you for life at your nearest Ace Hardware :)

Ammonia just sounds like a dangerous chemical. I have actually never heard of ace hardware, but am willing to consider it. How much ammonia should I put? Also, would putting MTS while I cycle the tank be a bad idea? Wanted them to sift my sand.

Edit:

Just read the article about fish less cycle and I am going to do it. Thanks guys!

Cornstar said:
Ammonia just sounds like a dangerous chemical. I have actually never heard of ace hardware, but am willing to consider it. How much ammonia should I put? Also, would putting MTS while I cycle the tank be a bad idea? Wanted them to sift my sand.

Edit:

Just read the article about fish less cycle and I am going to do it. Thanks guys!

You only need a very small amount of ammonia. Ive heard of people dosing it with medicine droppers. I wouldn't put anything alive (except plants, they love it) in the tank. The snails would probably die almost instantly in 4ppm of ammonia.

Edit:

I know it sounds scary, doesn't it? I thought the same thing too. But I cycled a tank fishless with ammonia and so have many others on this site (and others) and we now have fish that are thriving. You'll be fine. Just follow the guide and post if you have any questions along the way. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom