Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sinuhe
Omg, I can't believe what just happened!

Some of you probably remember me posting about my shrimp, mainly to help figure out the species. (Click here for a picture). As we figured out it must be of the Macrobrachium family, someone here or at another forum warned about them possibly getting aggressive. I didn't worry about that too much, because my shrimp seemed to get along with my fish just fine.

Well, today I was just doing a partial water change when I suddenly noticed the shrimp holding an Oto in his claws! And the Oto wasn't moving. I flipped out, crabbed the first thing I could find (a net), shooed the shrimp, who released his pray, and the Oto swam away, seemingly unaffected. Whewww. But this means the shrimp will have to go. I'm now starting to suspect the slight cases of "fin rot" I've observed on some Platies and Swordtails living in the same tank may actually be damage caused by his claws. They've all just had small pieces of their tailfin missing, and then having it grow back without medication. I'm not sure if they've had any damage in other fins, but all their dorsal fins have been intact at least. Now, I have Otos (and other fish) in all my tanks, so I'm not sure what to do with the shrimp. He's cool to watch, I'd like to keep him separately, but right now it's not possible. Hmmm. (I realised he was hungry, so I gave him a piece of a fish food tab that he's always loved, and he seemed happy. I'll have to keep his tummy filled until I figure out what to do with him )

Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could get a small eclipse for him. I used one for my ghost shrimp to grow until they were a good feeding size. Now it's going to be Nirvana for critters coming off my live rock until I can ID them.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's an eclipse?
Old 12-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Sinuhe....

Eclipse is the brand name for a series of small, relatively inexpensive aquariums that usually come as a mini-kit with a filter and reflector.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: Omg, I can't believe what just happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinuhe
so I'm not sure what to do with the shrimp

hmm....shrimp + garlic + butter = good times!

Zach.

-President George 'Dubya' Bush
Patwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the link:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shoppin...t%5F6507.shtml
Old 12-17-2003, 01:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately, I don't think those small tank kits are available in Finland .

Zach! Too bad I'm not into sea food...
Old 12-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
You could setup a small 5 gallon tank for less than a 3 gallon eclipse tank.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interestingly, it's hard to find anything smaller than 40 liter (about 10 US gallons) tanks in Finland. And they're mostly made of glass. I think there is some kind of a law/rule about not keeping fish in anything smaller than 40 liters. There are smaller plastic containers for other animals, but they don't usually have lighting, or any holes for cords and such.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I'm going by US prices, which might not apply. But a full 10 gallon setup could cost as little as $40US with decent equipment. An Eclipse System 3 by itself was like $35 when I bought mine for office use, and I've seen them now at like, $65.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yes, this doesn't surprise me at all. That thing looks ornery (I remember your posted picture)! Def. separate him. It was only a matter of time--you are incredibly lucky to have been able to save that oto. I don't keep my crayfish with any other fish, as they chase after everything... Slow, small bottom feeders and algae eaters are prime targets for them...
Old 12-17-2003, 02:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, tell me about it, I would have been devastated to find the Oto dead afterwards, not knowing what happened, and not knowing it was the shrimp.

You can't find a fully equipped 10 gallon for the equivalent of $40 in Finland, unless you go for a used kit . I've been looking for used 10 gallons online, but there are very few available near where I live. I'm probably going to have to get a new one, but that won't be until January, so I'll probably have to return the shrimp back to the store if they'll take him.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had ghost shrimp that ate my neon tetras. I don't know if they killed them, I don't know how they ate them, but I could see the red and blue stripes inside the shrimp.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just an off the cuff thought, but know or is there a glazier near you (someone who works with glass)? Maybe they can put together a small tank for you (with some sort of pure silicone)? Shouldn't be horribly expensive, and you can prob get the size you want.

My grandpa made his own tank when my mom n aunt were young, but I don't know how LOL

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sati
I had ghost shrimp that ate my neon tetras. I don't know if they killed them, I don't know how they ate them, but I could see the red and blue stripes inside the shrimp.
Holy cow! The stripes showing through, kind of grotesque .

Hmm, that's a nice idea, Ally, but I can't think of a place anywhere near that manufactures stuff like that. At least one that I'd know of. And it's not just the tank, but all the other needed stuff that adds to the price... I think it'll be cheaper to just return the shrimp for now .
Old 12-17-2003, 06:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eclipse and Inexpensive are two words that should not be in the same sentance together.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ghost shrimp naturally have some stripes on them..
Old 12-17-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I was worried about this happening. Any shrimp that has claws is going to be a fishy catcher, in general, but I am sorry it turned out like this. I do love the oddball tank members, but I guess this one was just not meant to be. Chalk it up to experience, and return the shrimp, because it would mean an entire new setup for it. It was fortunate you caught the shrimp in the act, so you prevented quite a few deaths. I have my own blue "lobster" story to tell, so I feel your pain!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Quote:
Ghost shrimp naturally have some stripes on them..
Well they had no stripes til I woke up in the morning with missing neons

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com