Oto Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rudy_627

i just read that you need 4 or more oto cats in anything bigger than a 10 gal tank its what the site recommended anyway

should i get 4 Oto cats, 5 Red Phantom Tetras, 5 Cardinal Tetras, and 1 Dwarf Gourami?

Wow thats big I have never seen one that size. Otos do love to be kept in groups though so I would get at least 4 so they will be more relaxed & fun to watch.

I prefer to go with 1 oto per 3-5 gallons. I've never seen one over 1" either, but I guess it depends on what you feed them. :)

I've found ottos hard to keep alive from the lfs for various reasons. If they make it a month they'll likely be ok. Out of a group of 5 I had one survivor, which was happy in the tank for many months as the only otto. I recently added three more. Hopefully they will survive.

I measured my otto and it's about 1 1/4" from head to tip of it's tail fin. I think it's reached its maximum size as it hasn't grown in months.

They are amusing little creatures and great tank additions. I currently have two in a 38gal planted tank and I'm considering adding more or perhaps some shrimp instead.

cool so in a 29 gal would

5 Red Phantom Tetras, 5 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Oto Cats, and 1 dwarf gourami go together?

they definitly go together - but I would say you need bottom feeders, like maybe 3 cories. The ottos will eat algae, but the cories will help pick up food that reaches the substrate.

Its funny otos are the first fish I added to the brand new tank & they immediately got to work on my driftwood which was growing some sort of mold I think. I don't think I've ever had an oto mortality. I know its not supposed to be neccesary but maybe it gives them a boost or something.

ALL OF THEM WILL FIT TOGETHER?!?!?!?! 8O

wow

thats alot

:mrgreen: i want alot thats good :mrgreen:

I would try 3 otos because you don't wanna push your bioload
and maybe later down the line, when ur tank has ben stable for a long time, add another oto or something

okies

well i gotta go and also my parents said

No tank tilll you have all 80%'s in every class

im 2 classes away from that!

UGH parents are evil!

Back
Top Bottom