Otos and Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've tried to keep otos before, but to no avail. I had a sufficient amount of algae/diatomes for them, however I had high TDS, high pH, & high alkalinity.

Now I have pH of 6.5, 3dKH, 6dGH. I like otocinclus and would like to add 4 or so to my tank, hopefully the new water parameters will help them survive & thrive.

I do wonder about my two loaches though and how they would treat the otos. I have a striata botia and a golden zebra loach. They are quite active, get along well, but can be aggressive with eachother at times.

I also have a small school of tiger barbs, but they don't seem to pay attention to anything except themselves and the serpaes.

Any feelings on if the otos would do alright in there?

Loaches shouldn't bother ottos at all, they pretty much inhabit different parts of the tank. I have clowns, striata, and polka dot loaches with 4 ottos and no issues at all. You loaches being "aggressive" with each other is probably just a dominance thing, they develop a hierarchy but the alpha will be challenged from time to time and can roles can be changed. Is it just the two loaches you have? Because of their shoaling preferences they should be kept with 4-5+ others, but they can be mixed types of loaches as long as their size is similar. Also, just to have it said, these types of loaches shouldn't be kept in a small aquarium due to their activity levels and space requirements.

Loaches shouldn't bother ottos at all, they pretty much inhabit different parts of the tank. I have clowns, striata, and polka dot loaches with 4 ottos and no issues at all. You loaches being "aggressive" with each other is probably just a dominance thing, they develop a hierarchy but the alpha will be challenged from time to time and can roles can be changed. Is it just the two loaches you have? Because of their shoaling preferences they should be kept with 4-5+ others, but they can be mixed types of loaches as long as their size is similar. Also, just to have it said, these types of loaches shouldn't be kept in a small aquarium due to their activity levels and space requirements.

I'm aware of the social preferences of loaches as well as optimal space requirements. I only had a single golden zebra loach for several years and then came across a good looking striata botia. They've formed a nice pair, you are right about the dominance thing. They do challenge eachother from time to time, but no injuries and when its done they go back to swimming together.

I won't be adding anymore as space prohibits, but I'll be keeping these two, as they are two of the smallest loaches, and while I'm sure they (and I) would like a larger tank, this is what I have. They are active & healthy.

When you say Otos occupy different areas of the tank, that may be true in a 55, but in a 18 extra tall, all the fish pretty much occupy the same areas. How do you think they would get along in a smaller space?

I'm aware of the social preferences of loaches as well as optimal space requirements. I only had a single golden zebra loach for several years and then came across a good looking striata botia. They've formed a nice pair, you are right about the dominance thing. They do challenge eachother from time to time, but no injuries and when its done they go back to swimming together.

I won't be adding anymore as space prohibits, but I'll be keeping these two, as they are two of the smallest loaches, and while I'm sure they (and I) would like a larger tank, this is what I have. They are active & healthy.

When you say Otos occupy different areas of the tank, that may be true in a 55, but in a 18 extra tall, all the fish pretty much occupy the same areas. How do you think they would get along in a smaller space?

It's your tank and you are more than welcome to do what you want with it, I was just making sure you knew and would remember that when you have space and the money for a larger tank, didn't mean to sound rude if I did.

I really think even with a smaller tank that ottos and loaches would be perfectly fine together. Loaches are some of the most peaceful fish you can find.

Tiger barbs, serpaes and loaches in an 18-gallon? I wouldn't add anything else, as you don't want to overwhelm your bioload capacity. In a big enough tank the otos would be fine.

To flip your concern around, know that sometimes otos will try to attach themselves to slower and/or sedentary fish. Loaches sometimes lie around not moving for periods of time. I'm not saying this would happen, but it can. Just food for thought.

David

Tiger barbs, serpaes and loaches in an 18-gallon? I wouldn't add anything else, as you don't want to overwhelm your bioload capacity. In a big enough tank the otos would be fine.

To flip your concern around, know that sometimes otos will try to attach themselves to slower and/or sedentary fish. Loaches sometimes lie around not moving for periods of time. I'm not saying this would happen, but it can. Just food for thought.

David

No offense taken. Actually, I want to increase the bioload in my tank as my nitrates can't keep up with the plants. I'm going to have to start dosing nitrogen. I'm waiting on an apisto to come up on my LFS' order sheet. I also plan on adding 3 more tigers and 3 more serpaes when I get around to it. My understanding is that otos don't have much bioload. I guess this brings up another question. Would a big mouthed apisto snack on an oto?

I always saw my loaches as peaceful, yet very active and occasionally challenging eachother for dominance.

No offense taken. Actually, I want to increase the bioload in my tank as my nitrates can't keep up with the plants. I'm going to have to start dosing nitrogen. I'm waiting on an apisto to come up on my LFS' order sheet. I also plan on adding 3 more tigers and 3 more serpaes when I get around to it. My understanding is that otos don't have much bioload. I guess this brings up another question. Would a big mouthed apisto snack on an oto?

I always saw my loaches as peaceful, yet very active and occasionally challenging eachother for dominance.

True ottos have minimal bioload, but its good you're thinking about adding nitrogen. Low nitrates isn't an excuse for overstocking so its good you're thinking about dosing nitrogen, as that would be the correct way to fix that issue. Sorry I don't know about apistos, but I do believe ottos have spines that may cause some issues to something trying to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom