Overkill for an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DallasFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone -

I'm inheriting an Oscar (~6 inches) and Pleco in the near future. In my typical O/C way I've been reading everything about them I can find on the web. Based on what I've read, I'm planning to:

1. Set up 75g tank.
2. Use two Filstar XP3s/heaters for filtration and heating.
3. Skip live plants and go with some nice fake ones, anchored in eggcrate below the substrate
4. Keep the standard lighting on the tank (vs. upgrading) - I read oscars don't like high light anyway.
5. Use smooth gravel as substrate.

I've got a fishkeeping buddy who says I'm crazy to dedicate a 75 G to just the Oscar and the Pleco, and that I should get more fish. My reading says no, Oscars like their space and don't particularly like company. Any thoughts on that, or other concerns with this plan?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Every thing you have planed would be perfect but I would skip the fake plants too. He well just up root them. Maybe sure the substrate is either very small so he wont get any stuck in his mouth or make sure they are way to big like use river rocks so he cant pick them up.
I had an oscar for ten years we kept upgrading it tank. Now that I look back I think we would of saved some money if we had just gotten the 75 gallon to begin with or bigger. He got 16 inches long. HUGE very messy fish. Only fish that my husband ever liked enough to take over the water changes on. lol

Glad I could help be sure to share pictures when you get him.

Well, its all set up. And here is the star of the show, "Puppy":

17096-albums263-picture1669.jpg

My daughter decided it must be a girl.

There's also an ~8" long pleco lurking in the tank.

i love oscars.....i once caught one in a gravel quarry once. from what i was told, some guy unloaded all his fish into the lake the day before.

Rob i HATE that, people who dump fish. Causes so many problems. Glad you rescued one though 8)

Sounds good. Lets see pics of what you went with..

And no dedicating a 75g to an Oscar is not crazy.. I have a 120g dedicated as a growout tank to my Dovii, he'll need at least a 180 by himself if that give you any indication ;)

Back
Top Bottom