Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zburtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been having issues with ammonia and nothing seems to lower it since I setup the tank a few weeks ago. Is my tank overstocked? Here's my lineup:

5 Skirt Tetras
1 Blue Gourami
3 Algae Eaters
3 Neon Tetras
1 Black Molly
1 GloFish Yellow Tetra
2 Red Wag Platy
1 Mickey Mouse Platy

I've been having issues with ammonia and nothing seems to lower it since I setup the tank a few weeks ago. Is my tank overstocked? Here's my lineup:

5 Skirt Tetras
1 Blue Gourami
3 Algae Eaters
3 Neon Tetras
1 Black Molly
1 GloFish Yellow Tetra
2 Red Wag Platy
1 Mickey Mouse Platy

Doesn't look overstocked to me.

What exactly is your parameters is your tank cycled did you do a fish in or fishless cycle when you say algae eaters what kind are you talking about

5 Skirt Tetras
1 Blue Gourami
3 Algae Eaters
3 Neon Tetras
1 Black Molly
1 GloFish Yellow Tetra
2 Red Wag Platy
1 Mickey Mouse Platy

Hmmm. It doesn't look overstocked, just poorly stocked. Neons and glofish should have schools. What are your parameters and what sort of algae eaters are we talking about?

Otocinclus algaes. I have over 4ppm ammonia, relatively high nitrites and medium nitrates.

Otocinclus algaes. I have over 4ppm ammonia, relatively high nitrites and medium nitrates.

Need to do an immediate 75% water change and keep doing 50% after that to get that level down to 0ppm that's very high to have fish in there

I did a 50% change last night and it didn't really change. My tap water doesn't have ammonia either. I added dr Tim's one and only the other day if that helps.

Also test in between water changes to know your levels what are you testing with need to keep doing water changes to get it down don't add anything other than water conditioner

You need to do a large 75% WC wait a couple hours then do a 50% WC wait WC and keep doing that until you get your ammonia levels down to .25ppm or lower.

Did you just set up the tank and add that many fish at once? If so do you understand about fish in cycling? Adding bacteria in a bottle is hit and miss at best. Here's a good article to read.... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.

What is your nitrite and nitrate readings?

Unfortunately I added all those within a week or two. I actually had more too but they died. I know the error of my ways now. Ill get started on those water changes right after work today and let you guys know

Just looks like normal detris buildup to me. If it bothers you remove the tube and clean it off.

Back
Top Bottom