Overstocked Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

empacker04

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking about adding 4 Glowlight Tetras, will I be overstocked. As of right now I have.

29 Gallon
Fluval 306 Canister
Fluval Aquaclear 30 (Rasboras love the current)
8-Halequin Rasboras
5-Neon Dwarf Rainbow Fish
1 - Neon Tetra (I do not want to add more of these)
4-Black Phantom Tetras
2-Otocinclus

My planted tank has be set up over a year and water parameters are fine.

You're not even close to being overstocked. You could add 6 glowlights and 6 more black phantoms to up the school numbers. And maybe even 2 more harlequin rasboras. As long as you have a lot of plants and since your tank is mature, you should be fine.

I really like cory cats. Will they uproot my plants? As of now, I have a really peaceful tank. What suggestions do you have for other fish?

I have pygmy cories in my planted 16g, no problems at all. I'm a big fan of loaches but it's a matter of personal preference.

Add another Oto or 2 if you can. They are social.

I am a Cory fan as well as many of you know. But I would rather fill out groups than only have 4 of any Tetra. 6 or more is a better number if you have room.

I used to be told to sell three as the minimum number. We had a ton of cases of selling three schooling fish to a tank and having the biggest one kill off the other two. Larger groups help to limit the aggression and spread it out so you get little nippy stuff but nothing damaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I decided to increase my school. I added 2 ottos and they seem a lot happier. My Black Phantoms and neon are in a seperate tack for a few weeks just to make sure there is no illness. After a few weeks, my 29 gallon will look like this.
8--Halequin Rasboras
5-Neon Dwarf Rainbow Fish
2- Neon Tetra (I wanted to get my one a buddy)
7-Black Phantom Tetras
4-Otocinclus
I'm done adding fish, but will I be close to being overstocked if I add these?

Back
Top Bottom