ozone in fw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iwantareef16

Aquarium Advice Regular
how would you difuse ozone in a fw tank i was thinking a protein skimmer but it would be useless but i would have it when i switch to sw

Wow! you've been looking for a reason to by that skimmer for awhile now. Just get it and put it aside until you need it for SW. As for difussing O3! Why? I'm not a salty, so I don't know. Is that something that is good in SW? :roll:

iwantareef16 said:
how would you difuse ozone in a fw tank i was thinking a protein skimmer but it would be useless but i would have it when i switch to sw

Protein skimmers are worthless in freshwater systems. That is all I have to say on this, since I am having trouble understanding your post as it is. Learn how to use that period key.

Ozonation in a freshwater tank is also worthless unless your pH is higher than 7.5. If the antiseptic properties of ozone is what you are going for, a UV sterilizer would be a better choice.

I know ozone can be hard on animals & plants because it produces free radicals. Do people really put it right into their tanks??

I would think a UV sterilizer would do the job depending on what your problem is.

mattrox said:
Wouldn't ozone kill the biological filter? Or am I missing something.
I think that ozone is so short lived, that It would not be present in any significant quantity by the time the water got back to the bio-filter if the ozone was added downstream from the bio-filter?

Tom is right ozone is short lived. I guess I was just picturing it being generated & fed right into the tank (ouch!!). I guess the word diffuse is what made me think that. It would certainly slow your biofilter down if you bubbled it through there but I guess if you let it dissapate & react with the organisms you are trying to kill in the water it would work fine. I have heard of ozone sterilization I just didn't think it would be safe to diffuse it into the water with the fish & plants.

This is probably a dumb question, but what is a UV Steralizer? It was mentioned above that it would be the better choice if your pH is higher than 7.5, ours is at 7.8. Should we have a UV Steralizer?

Fishyfanatic said:
This is probably a dumb question, but what is a UV Steralizer? It was mentioned above that it would be the better choice if your pH is higher than 7.5, ours is at 7.8. Should we have a UV Steralizer?

You misread my statement. I said unless your pH is higher than 7.5, an ozonator is worthless. UV sterilizers can be used in any situation.

Back
Top Bottom