"Panting" Loach!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Llama_13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
None of your business :p (Southern hemisphere)
Hi guys!
Over-Protective-Fish-Lover-who-is-constantly-stressed here!

One of my Zebra Loaches has been sitting on the bottom of tank panting or breathing really heavily. I read that this is most likely due to stress, but just wanted to get some more info or advice. People suggested moving into a holding tank in case of infection, but I haven't moved him so I don't stress him more.

He eats, but barely. He sits in bottom all day, only moves occasionally. Other fish seem to leave him alone, earlier the other Loach came to him and the panting one gave it a peck and chased it, before settling down again.

All replies, advice, and info will be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

---

Freshwater
Not planted
25°C-27°C
38L / 8 gallons

~~~
2 Zebra Loaches
7 Danios
5 Black Widow Tetras
1 Halfbeak (<-are getting him some friends)
& Gerald, the lazy Apple snail

Hello, checked your water parameters? Any change in tank before this? I'd shift him as well to hospital tank but use same tank water, etc.

Hi Delapool

Parameters seem fine, but I've done a 50% water change anyway.
My Loach seems a bit better but it's still panting. I didn't want to move him into a separate tank because I didn't want to stress him more.
Other fish seem to be leaving him alone now, so that's good.

I'm going to wait a few more days before moving him into hospital tank. I think his behaviour will improve.

Thanks for your reply! Will update soon. :thanks:

Hasn't been eating any dead fish or snails? I had a loach do that, panting, didn't recover and lost 12hrs later.

Back
Top Bottom