Peacock eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw this fish at petsmart and I thought it was cool! Like most other semi aggressive fish it likes hiding spots, it says it can get it 14 inches long! I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm just wanting to get a good stock.

The stock I would like:

1 rainbow shark
8 black kuhli loaches
6 otocinclus
1 bristle nose pleco

And I'm still trying to decide which fish to go with to even out the bottom to mid level activity! I have been looking at a number of tetras and from what I've read the eel will get along pretty well if it has some spots to hide from the rest of the fish every now and then! If anyone has anymore info on these eels I would love for you to share!! Thanks! :)

Peacocks are too big for 55 gallons, although you could keep it until it gets too big, then rehome it

I've yet to see a 14" peacock eel. 10-12" is huge for one, I'd figure 8-10" after several years. In my opinion this is fine for a 55, the length of the tank makes up for the lack of width and eels bend easily so the narrow tank will still be ok.

They can be a pain to feed sometimes and you will rarely see him as they hide non stop.

Peacocks are too big for 55 gallons, although you could keep it until it gets too big, then rehome it

You could easily get it in your tank. Peacock eels are one of the smallest of the spiny eels. They usually only get about 8 inches max. A 55 is plenty of room for them. Sand or something fine is recommended for them..they are also pretty sensitive. They are shy at first most of the time but after awhile open up and can even be hand fed.

You could easily get it in your tank. Peacock eels are one of the smallest of the spiny eels. They usually only get about 8 inches max. A 55 is plenty of room for them. Sand or something fine is recommended for them..they are also pretty sensitive. They are shy at first most of the time but after awhile open up and can even be hand fed.

Oh well awesome!! That would be very interesting to do! What do they eat?

Back
Top Bottom