Peacock Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a peacock eel last wed. At the store he was very active even with lights on. Lfs employee said he was eating pellets. He has yet to eat since I got him. Haven't even seen him since Friday and have thoroughly looked. Should I be concerned yet? Anything I can do to make him more comfy ?

How big is the tank and how bright is your lighting? He might have burried himself. Most spiny eel species are nocturnal. Caves along with fish that aren't overly active should tempt him to come out

75 gallon tank. Plenty of hiding spots. Don't even see him when lights out.

He is probably freaked out since you got him recently. I got my clown pleco about a month ago and he only just now started coming out when the lights are on.

I got a peacock eel last wed. At the store he was very active even with lights on. Lfs employee said he was eating pellets. He has yet to eat since I got him. Haven't even seen him since Friday and have thoroughly looked. Should I be concerned yet? Anything I can do to make him more comfy ?

In my attempt to play The Devils Advocate, let me ask you this. Why did you get one ? What did you know about it before getting one ? Did you watch it eat ? What's your substrate ? Does it match the LFS or is it natural to the eel ? Are you looking for it to feed with the other fish in your tank ? Is it compatible with the others ? Does it have hiding places ? Some things to make him more comfy would be to so more research. Figure out what you have and what it's requirements and needs are.

Still haven't seen it once since Friday. Did heavily research the fish before I bought. My honest expectation would that the eel would be somewhat like my african brown knife fish. Hides a lot and a bit skittish. I target feed my knife fish with a turkey baister. Can't even see the eel to target feed it. Have plenty of room in my 75 g. Plenty of hiding spaces. Worries it escaped or is dead. No ammonia increase

After 2 weeks of being missing my eel surfaced when cleaning the sand. Was completely buried. Swam around frantically for a min then disappeared again. Should I be nervous that I haven't seen him eat since I bought him. Anything I can do to make him more comfy. Got plenty of hiding spots.

After 2 weeks of being missing my eel surfaced when cleaning the sand. Was completely buried. Swam around frantically for a min then disappeared again. Should I be nervous that I haven't seen him eat since I bought him. Anything I can do to make him more comfy. Got plenty of hiding spots.

Since most eels are nocturnal, you'll only come across it here and there as you're cleaning. It will burrow in the sand until night fall and poke it's head out to see what's going on from time to time. When it came out during your last cleaning, did it look like it did when you purchased it ? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's more than likely getting food while your sound asleep. Some things you could do to make it feel more comfortable would be to add some PVC pipe to the tank. Short pieces oh maybe 6-8" long and 3/4-1" diameter. Sterilize it first in a 10% bleach solution and try to file down the edges so they are not sharp or jagged. If you have a deep sand substrate you could do a larger diameter like 2" and partially bury it in the sand leaving the top half exposed. It should take some of the stress away.

Is the food still there in the morning? When I revamped my tank with a lot more hiding spots, I rarely saw my Cory's in the afternoon (They are nocturnal too.), so I put in pellets later in the day (before bed, 1-2 are outside and active) and the pellets are gone in the morning.

He was very active in store and was eating. Maybe another eel would make him more happy?

Hi...

I know I am coming in late on this but I also have a peacock eel, very different personality from yours but when I was doing research on the eel, they said that they really only eat 2-3 times a week and that they do spend most of there time burrowed and hiding... I would just keep an eye out, as long as you see him sometimes I am sure the eel will be fine and it will eat when it's hungry. He might get more active over time once it gets used to his new home.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom