ph dropping on an old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabana boy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6 yr old 20 gallon w/ 1 pleco, 5 harlequins, 2 barbs, flugal 204, 1 mid size driftwood. slowly the ph has been dropping. no new changes to the tank has been made. ph ok for 5 1/2 yr. -no problems. no idea? anyone?

steady 7.0 for years now hovering around 6.4-6.5. combating with "seachem ph.7 neutral regulator" . local water is 7.5

Hey Shawmutt,great site! I hope it helps cabana boy,because I think it's going to help me a great deal! I've had the same trouble with my goldfish tank.Been running for years,all 3 fish seem fine,I change water,clean filter,vac gravel regularly.But past 3 months the pH has gone slowly from 7.5 to 6.6.
I can only assume I need to do bigger water changes.
Old Tank Syndrome is a new one to me! :D
Thanks again!Kudos 2 you!

Top link shawmutt, thanks for sharing. I found it very informative and as a warning as I am a newbie still. :D

Thanks
Louise

great website good info to keep in mine but my ammonia and nitrates are fine??
going to try reboiling process on drift wood - i noticed that its being to break off pretty easy - maybe after long periods of time they deteriate and begin acidifing water in a greater degree or -----may be the county changed the water quality make up.

Back
Top Bottom