PH Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an Aqua one 850 tank. I have had it for six months and since setting it up from scratch, I have never been able to lower the PH level below 7.6. With my previous tank never had any problems with lowering it and it was always at 7.0. So I was able to keep Neon Tetra's, Cardinals, Rommey nose, shrimp and more but now with the level this high they die except the few that survived as they acclimatised ok . I am able to grow plants really well and I have 2 logs in the tank. The nitrate and ammonia are always non or low. I use salt in the water. I have tried water changes and buffers to reduce it to no avail. So my question to anyone is it likely to be the gravel? And I just have to live with it or is there a way to bring it down? Or is there a way I can acclimatise other fish to survive in the high ph? Thanks

Welcome to AA!
If your fish are not surviving there is another problem. Not the pH. If acclimated correctly pH doesn't matter. Fish can adjust to different pHs. For example I keep neons and rummies any pH 7.8-8 without issue.
What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Do you replace your filter media at all?
What size tank?
What stock do you have?
How much water do you change per week?

Reactions: Tra
Thanks so much for your reply Mumma of two.
My Ammonia and nitrate are always fine when tested low. I changed the filter pads ever 3 months and rinse them every month in the water of the tank that I remove on that day. The size of the tank is about 165 litres. The stock I have are different plants, two logs, Tetras golden, 2 rummie, Bristlenose and one albino one. 1 cardinal, Odesa barbs, platy, rainbow tetra and cant remember the other ones I have off the top of my head. And I change about 20percent . Hope i have answered al the questions
:thanks:

Ps thanks for the welcome as well

Back
Top Bottom