Ph?? Or fish just being fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
I'm watching tv and I noticed that my fish made a splash about twice.. I heard and immediately thought that I should check my water parameters...I noticed my ph seems to be slightly low... About a 6.4... Verrrry light....
I house two Bp parrots in a 55 ...is the low ph the cause of this? And how can I raise my ph to around a 7????

That PH seems low, however, I am not familiar with your fish. To raise the PH you can add a little baking soda, start with a pinch. Wait an hour or so and check it again. Keep doing that until it gets where you want it. Then you can add crushed coral to the tank or hang a bag of it under the outflow, or even add it to the filter. Limestone, eggshell, cuttlefish bone, and seashells also work to buffer the PH so it stay up. My mollies and guppies do the splash thing sometimes at night. I thought they were trying to jump out the first time I heard it. LOL

BPs should be fine at 6.4 and unless it suddenly swung from high to low, I highly doubt that's the reason they splashed. They most likely saw something that they took for food (reflection, fly, etc) or were chasing one another. Do you witness any sparring between them? Anything else in the tank?

IME, tinkering with pH usually causes more trouble than it corrects unless you need to close a wide gap.

Not familiar with the fish but if you need to change ph I very strongly recomend you do it via a natural method and not bought in a bottle chemicals.

Don't use straight baking soda. It will bounce the pH. It won't just raise and hold it.

You can add crushed coral substrate or crushed coral in your filter or use rocks that will raise the pH like limestone.

As was already mentioned though, your fish should be fine at that pH. If your pH has suddenly dropped, that could be making the fish uncomfortable. You need to maintain a constant pH.

Back
Top Bottom