pH problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IHaveAquariums

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm having strange things show up with my pH now. I have an API liquid kit and it used to test my pH at 6.8-7.2 and I had used test strips with the same reading. Well just last night I used the same 2 different tests and now my liquid test kit is reading the max on normal pH and high range is at about 8.4 while the strips are reading the same 6.8-7.2. I tested 2 different tanks and both read high like this and I have driftwood in all my tanks which should soften it but now the water is reading extremely alkaline. I guarantee it used to read around 7 but now it's really high. Any ideas? I'll be taking water over to a fish store across the road to have them see but I'm really confused here. Thanks!

So I'm having strange things show up with my pH now. I have an API liquid kit and it used to test my pH at 6.8-7.2 and I had used test strips with the same reading. Well just last night I used the same 2 different tests and now my liquid test kit is reading the max on normal pH and high range is at about 8.4 while the strips are reading the same 6.8-7.2. I tested 2 different tanks and both read high like this and I have driftwood in all my tanks which should soften it but now the water is reading extremely alkaline. I guarantee it used to read around 7 but now it's really high. Any ideas? I'll be taking water over to a fish store across the road to have them see but I'm really confused here. Thanks!

Have you changed anything recently? Check city water reports from now and then.... Decent starting point. Obviously something changed, so you'll have to start digging up and researching what could have changed.

Driftwood does not guarantee softer water ;)

Nope, I haven't changed anything, done what I've always done nothing new or added. I wrote an email to the city utilities department and asked about it, I can't find anything online ?. And yeah I knew it wasn't like a guaranteed thing haha

Nope, I haven't changed anything, done what I've always done nothing new or added. I wrote an email to the city utilities department and asked about it, I can't find anything online ?. And yeah I knew it wasn't like a guaranteed thing haha

Well if YOU haven't changed anything (assuming you don't have a buffering substrate that just passed it's lifespan and now is no longer buffering) than the township must have changed something. Research research research time, have fun ;)

Yeah I tested a tank that just has inert black gravel and found it over 8 and so I tested another tank that just has plain gravel and play sand and it was over 8 too, so guess it's time to start digging through some websites ?

Out of the tap reads 7.8~ on the liquid and 7.2-4 on the strip, haven't let it sit out and gas off for 24 hours yet though, will be doing that soon

To get an accurate reading, you really need to wait until the water gasses off to know if there is an issue. PH in a tank can be effected by live plants, calcium based decor ( substrate or decorations), buffering agent or even aeration amount. I wouldn't use the test strips as a comparison as they have a bad reputation of being inaccurate. Compare your liquid test to the store's liquid test. ( If they use test strips too ask for a liquid test. ) You can also take your test reagent to compare your results to the store's.
There is a highly unlikely possibility that your reagent has gone bad. You need to confirm it hasn't first before moving on. (y)

Back
Top Bottom