Pic of my new betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunsplash76

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey All~
Just got a new betta tank the other day and thought I'de share. It has live plants on the top and I went wild with the purple gravel, ha ha. I love the split glass, because they always look puffed out and pissed off. They can see the other betta, but can't get to it. I'm going to get the lighting as soon as I can get back to that store. They have really pretty colors. Any other betta keepers out there? Post a pic with mine. Anyways, her eit is.
~Melissa~

I had a problem sending the picture of the betta if you look in the photo album for SleeplessLwd you'll find a picture of of my betta

I got the tank at a strictly fish store. It's called coral fish Hawaii, they have saltwater fish on the bottom floor, and freshwater fish on the top floor. I go crazy when I get in that store. It's a pre-assembled 2.5 gallon tank, came with one separator, and I purchased the additional separator. I had one betta already, so I bought the other two that day. I'm going to try and get a close up of my bettas. It's nice to see other people who have bettas. They really are cute fish, and sometimes get forgotten or mistreated.
This is the first time I've had live plants at all. I don't remember what kind of plant they are... They were selling them in a bunch, so I bought one. The bettas seem to enjoy the live plant, they are always hanging around up there. This tank is alot of fun, I'm glad I got it finally. Thanks All,
~Melissa~

FYI, The plant is either Elodea or Anacharis, I can't tell the difference between them. In my experience, those plants dont need much but some decent light.

Corvuscorax~
Thanks for the FYI, lol. The name anacharis sounds really familiar, so I think that is what it is. I put it in a spot where it can get light. Is there anything specific the plants will need to be healthy. The lady at the fish store said they will be fine with the food I put in the tank. Are there plant conditioners that would help at all? Thanks for the reply guys!
~Melissa~

As long as they get light you'll be fine. Do you have direct sun? how long?

Basically, the plants condition the water for the fish, and the fish wastes feed the plants! Have you seen those betta/plant vases they sell? My sister has one and the plant and fish are doing great, (8months so far).

CC

beta

It looks great, thanks for sharing the pic. I'm going to buy a beta soon. I still don't know if I should put the couple of colisa lalia first or the beta. As soon as I know, I'll buy one. I love them ,too :wink:

That is really cool! I love your tank. I think Bettas are my favorite fish. I have two of them, it's a shame you can't keep them all together, I'd have a tankful! Anyways, do you have any sort of filtration in there? If so, what is it? I have a spare 10 gallon, and I'd like to try to build my own tank like yours.

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Nope, no filtration in the tank yet. I want them to have all available space for swimming. Bettas sometimes don't get the proper housing quite often kept in cups and such. I buy little oxygen stones and put them on the bottom, and change once a month. Bettas like stagnant water as a pose to alot of movement, so I keep it natural as possible. I have 2 live plants per section which they enjoy. They are quite content and happy, even making bubble nests at the top. I need to get the hood for it one of these days.

Making a 10 gallon betta split would be awesome! If you get it worked out, I would love to see some pics as you do it. That would be super cool. Good luck with the project! I love bettas 2, they are great fish!
~Melissa~

Its also my understanding that bettas have lungs to some degree and breath air from the surface vs geting the oxygen from the water.

Yes, bettas are part of the labyrinth fish family, along with gouramis. They have a special organ (which is actually on top of their bodies above their gills) which consists of many tiny folds of skin covered in blood vessels, which can absorb oxgen from the water, or from the surface, in oxygen deprived air. These fish have even been known to die or become ill in tanks where the water was well oxygenated, but they could not reach the surface for air. So if you have a hood, be sure that the water level is low enough for them to get air from the surface. Even though they can for some extent nreathe air, this does not mean that they are happy or healthy on water that is not oxygenated and not filtered.

I know about the Bettas breathing with the labrynth organ. However, I had one in a bowl, and since it had no filter, the water started to smell after only about 3 days. I know you are supposed to change some of their water about twice a week too, but I just couldn't let him live in a bowl that got smelly all the time, so I put him in a breeding net in my 30 gallon. My other Betta is in there, and when they see each other, they puff themselves out and make themselves pretty. Anyways, if I did make the 10 gallon into a tank kind of like yours, I would absolutely have to have a filter in there. I would just have to try to keep the water movement to a minimum. I was thinking about an undergravel filter of some sort, but I don't know much about them, so I'll have to check them out before I do anything. If and when I get it up and going, I'll post some pics. I'm excited about it myself, but I don't know how long it will be til I get it going.

~*~Liz~*~

Well, thanks to your photo I rushed downstairs to get that old 5 gal. out of the basement. I looked around for something to seperate it. What I ended up using was glass out of 2 picture frames. I siliconed the glass in and now I have a tank sorta like yours. Should work out great !!!

wolverine121 said:
Well, thanks to your photo I rushed downstairs to get that old 5 gal. out of the basement. I looked around for something to seperate it. What I ended up using was glass out of 2 picture frames. I siliconed the glass in and now I have a tank sorta like yours. Should work out great !!!

Thats great!

:band: :invasion:

BTW, I love your avatar image.

Back
Top Bottom