Pickerel, Pike, or Gar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalvusAtx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know where to find 2-4" fry of red fin or grass pickerel, a medium pike (max adult size 8-12") or a medium gar (max adult size 8-12")?

We don't have any pike or pickerel down south in Texas. But we have tons of gar. Get yourself a fishing rod, some barbless hooks and some big shad/live sunfish for bait and go fishing. I've got a 3' alligator gar and a 24" un identified gar in one lake before...it's not hard. I think fish gallery has gar...but they're in houston...

Needle Nose Gar

There's a needle nose... They say they get 1' 3", but I don't really believe that. I think it would get maybe 1'.

How big of a tank do you have? I wouldn't put one of them in anything less than maybe a 55. That's still a little small though.

They will ship them to you at about 3 1/2"-4"

Needle Nose Gar

There's a needle nose... They say they get 1' 3", but I don't really believe that. I think it would get maybe 1'.

How big of a tank do you have? I wouldn't put one of them in anything less than maybe a 55. That's still a little small though.

They will ship them to you at about 3 1/2"-4"
That's not a true gar I don't think...yep...not even in the same family. Just called a gar for marketing purposes.

Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest NC has them in stock usually, or can get them.

I got my marbled needle nosed gar there, they had 3 other typical gar about 5 to 6 inches.

Just thinking about gar and pickerel made me think of this one I caught a few months ago in freeport, a spotted gar
img_1579761_0_2cbffa891b3fd87d80dbe6fce0dbc7df.jpg

Just thinking about gar and pickerel made me think of this one I caught a few months ago in freeport, a spotted gar
img_1579776_0_2cbffa891b3fd87d80dbe6fce0dbc7df.jpg

Looks like the one I caught though mine was a bit smaller. Darn thing ate my bullhead as I was pulling it up...The alligator gar I caught when I was pan fishing lol. I really dread falling into the water around that pier. It wasn't as bad as the time an alligator stole my catch...that one gave me a scare.

Gar is good eating. Deep fry with lots of tartar sauce.

I just put him back in the water. He was a bit 'off', i snagged him in the mouth with a hook after I saw him hovering and he didn't fight at all, so I think he was sick or something.\\
img_1579787_0_bedecf86ceb33a28da8747f60c694784.jpg

Ah, I remember catching an alligator when I was like nine. The **** thing nearly drug me into the lake... lol

Back
Top Bottom