Picking up the pieces...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I came home after a weekend away to the rather horrifying sight of my 150G tank empty of water, all my fish dead, my heaters ruined and my filters possibly the same :(.

It sucked :(.

Vale 6 Clown Loaches, 6 Silver Dollars, 1 Eel Tailed Catfish, 2 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Rainbow Shark,1 Golden Gourami & 6 Black Skirt Tetra :bawl:.

On the surprising side my Leopard Sailfin Pleco was just chilling dry :blink: Small mercies I guess :)

Oh my god...

I knew this wasn't good from the moment I looked at the title of this thread...if it is ANY condolence, I know EXACTLY what you are going through -- we had a 60 gallon that cracked and flooded our entire home, pretty much, right down into the living room below the loft the tank was in and although we didn't lose any fish, picking up the pieces was an absolute NIGHTMARE what with getting homeowners insurance agents to come out and analyze the damage, contractors coming out to redo the ceilings and floors, etc...

What caused your tank crash, do you know yet?

Man that's a nightmare: (
Your pleco was alive!?

He was and continues to be so :eek: Tough buggers :D

Wow sorry to hear that!!

Oh my god...

I knew this wasn't good from the moment I looked at the title of this thread...if it is ANY condolence, I know EXACTLY what you are going through -- we had a 60 gallon that cracked and flooded our entire home, pretty much, right down into the living room below the loft the tank was in and although we didn't lose any fish, picking up the pieces was an absolute NIGHTMARE what with getting homeowners insurance agents to come out and analyze the damage, contractors coming out to redo the ceilings and floors, etc...

What caused your tank crash, do you know yet?

From what it looked like the seal at the back of the tank came slightly loose which pulled through some fake plants which slowly made it bigger.

At this stage I'm looking out of luck on the insurance front as Home & Contents doesn't cover it without Accident cover :nono:

From what it looked like the seal at the back of the tank came slightly loose which pulled through some fake plants which slowly made it bigger.

Not sure I follow you here....a seal came loose?

At this stage I'm looking out of luck on the insurance front as Home & Contents doesn't cover it without Accident cover :nono:

Yeah, floods from fish tanks are a tricky one -- our company kind of "let it slide" and gave us some allowance to pay the contractors for this disaster...:nono:

I'm so sorry! That's terrible. I can't imagine coming home to 150 gallons of water plus dead fish on my floor. At least one fish made it through, though.

Where did the plants come into play?

How old was the tank -- did you buy it used? Did you inspect for cracks/leaks beforehand?

I'm off the opinion that the seal came lose which caused some water to start flowing out which sucked through some fake plants which in conjunction with the water flow slowly or quickly increased the hole in the seal...there was a number of fake plants sticking out the gap in the back after it had drained.

Purchased second hand, the tank was up when purchased but as it came with fish there was no time to do a post transport fill check :facepalm:. It has been up for nearly a year though at a guess :nono:.

I'm so sorry! That's terrible. I can't imagine coming home to 150 gallons of water plus dead fish on my floor. At least one fish made it through, though.

Haha thanks :) Sadly the one survivor may have to be moved on if I'm not brave enough to try and repair the tank...a 55G is no place for a pleco :(

I'm off the opinion that the seal came lose which caused some water to start flowing out which sucked through some fake plants which in conjunction with the water flow slowly or quickly increased the hole in the seal...there was a number of fake plants sticking out the gap in the back after it had drained.

Purchased second hand, the tank was up when purchased but as it came with fish there was no time to do a post transport fill check :facepalm:. It has been up for nearly a year though at a guess :nono:.

I see...

Really makes you question setting up another tank, doesn't it? I was skeptical at first, and eventually convinced my wife to start up another (60 gallon)...

With the small chip that's on the front side of ours, we're PRAYING this doesn't happen again...:nono::banghead:

I see...

Really makes you question setting up another tank, doesn't it? I was skeptical at first, and eventually convinced my wife to start up another (60 gallon)...

With the small chip that's on the front side of ours, we're PRAYING this doesn't happen again...:nono::banghead:

Yeah...I don't think I'd trust myself to resilicone the tank together...but conversely I really loved having a large tank in the living room...conundrum :facepalm:

Hope yours stays strong! No one deserves to go through losing a tank twice :(

Yeah...I don't think I'd trust myself to resilicone the tank together...but conversely I really loved having a large tank in the living room...conundrum :facepalm:

Hope yours stays strong! No one deserves to go through losing a tank twice :(

I know exactly what you mean -- and thanks for the high hopes positivity! Indeed, between the uneven floor from the padding beneath the carpet the tank sits on (the same spot the last one went down) and the subtle lean it creates on the stand and aquarium, and now this chip we discovered on the glass even though the tank was purchased BRAND NEW from Petsmart, we're getting nervous...

Aww, man, that really sucks. Glad your pleco made it out alive, hopefully you can get another tank for him. Are there any businesses that could repair the tank for you?

Aww, man, that really sucks. Glad your pleco made it out alive, hopefully you can get another tank for him. Are there any businesses that could repair the tank for you?

Thanks :thanks: Heaps of glaziers around who if I provide it would use aquarium safe silicone. In theory that is all it needs and is an easy job...it's just feeling confident enough that it wouldn't happen again...

Back
Top Bottom