Planted tank (plants only) as a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I plan on using a planted tank (plants only) as a nitrate filter for my main tank. I'm going to use a small pump to get water from my main tank to the panted tank and back to my main tank. My main tank is 340 gallons. How large would the planted tank need to be in order for this to work? What kind and how many plants will it take? I hear I'll be able to use house plants as well, is this correct?

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Honestly this principle is used in ponds but how it works is with floating plants with long hanging roots which absorb amazing amounts of nitrates. In a tank inside your best choices IMO are water lettuce and frogbit. I would say for that size tank you might want to go with at least a 40 breeder tank that is longer and shallower so there is more space for plants. The more plants you can use the more nitrates they will absorb. I would also invest in some type of light for the tank. A light that sits on the rims of the tank not an actual hood.

Plants as Nitrate Filters

Hello all,

I plan on using a planted tank (plants only) as a nitrate filter for my main tank. I'm going to use a small pump to get water from my main tank to the panted tank and back to my main tank. My main tank is 340 gallons. How large would the planted tank need to be in order for this to work? What kind and how many plants will it take? I hear I'll be able to use house plants as well, is this correct?

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Hello coal...

There are several house plants that will work. Here's a list:

Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) Cutlass, Gemini or Modestum varieties
Nephthytis
Pothos Queen Marble variety
Impatiens Shady Lady variety
Philodendron

You must remove all the soil from the roots. By positioning the plants with the only the roots emersed and properly aerating them and keeping the leaves above the water to take in the CO2 from the air, the plant roots will take in all forms of nitrogen. The planted tank has to be fairly open, but the house plants require only room light to grow well. The planted tank can be any size. I've used up to a 55 G for the plants.

The more plants you use, the purer the tank water.

B

I am glasld to see this natural form of filtration gaining popularity in the hobby! It is very underestimated. The plants not only suck up nitrates they also purify they also purify the water in other ways. Anyway enough of my jabbering.

I would use the plants brad recomended. Also frogbit (or duckweed) and water wisteria are great. Maybe but a light on the side of the second tank to get below the surface plants.
If you wanted a more natural form of mechanical filtration you could put some jave moss right in front of the output. Then stock some red cherry shrimp to clean it. Just a thought :)

I would like to see someone make an all in one aquariun that was its own built in natuaral filter. Ideas ideas :)

Thanks for all the replies. This site is great. I'll look into all the info and let you all know what I decide. I also may place the filter tank above my main tank (some how) so that I don't have to worry about my main tank draining if the pump goes out. This is the main reason I never went with a wet/dry or sump.

Thanks for all the replies. This site is great. I'll look into all the info and let you all know what I decide. I also may place the filter tank above my main tank (some how) so that I don't have to worry about my main tank draining if the pump goes out. This is the main reason I never went with a wet/dry or sump.

If you want to do it that way look this thread over as it will give you a lot of ideas.... Planted HOB thread..

If you want to do it that way look this thread over as it will give you a lot of ideas.... Planted HOB thread..

Thanks for the thread....very helpful.

Anyone know if there will be any specific type of lighting needed? Tank location in not near natural light. Will standard CFL bulb work?

You could also think about incorporating a small aquaponics set up to grow things like herbs, lettuces and strawberries.

Lighting Question

Anyone know if there will be any specific type of lighting needed? Tank location in not near natural light. Will standard CFL bulb work?

Hello again coal...

If you're using the land plants listed earlier, you need only room light. A tank set up close to a window with sheer curtains is perfect. I grow several Ag plants in my planted tanks and use inexpensive pole lamps and 60 watt "Eco" bulbs and the plants grow fine. If you keep aquatic plants in the same tank, you'll need to provide the proper lighting for them too. I keep aquatic plants that require only subdued lighting, so I can use standard florescents for them. $10.00 per bulb at the hardware store and they'll last well over a year. The system works well, the water stays free of ammonia and nitrite. I tested the tank water last year and the nitrates were at 15 ppm.

B

Yes they will just look for a 6500K or 6700K bulb.

Back
Top Bottom