Planted tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am saving up for a 46 gallon bow front tank and am trying to decide what kind of filter to use, and what kind of bulb to use. Kind in mind that I work at a LFS and will be going to my place of employment for 90% of my stuff 'cause of the discount.

Marineland 350 (up to 70 gallons), Fluval C-4, or AquaClear 40-70 gallons?

And for plants like crypt's, java fern, rotala's, etc.... Would a T8 Floramax bulb work?

Thanks in advance?

I'd go with an aquaclear 70 or 110. They are powerful and versatile filters IMO. You could also get a canister if you have the cash. For plants, it depends. Low light plants like java fern can get away with a T8, but for things like rotala you need more. I have a 46g bowfront as well, and I use a dual T5HO fixture and CO2 for plants such as rotala, swords, etc. That does cost a fair bit upfront though.

--Adeeb

hehe, I definitely don't have the cash for a canister filter. I think Ill spend the extra money for the T-5 light, though, since Ill be saving almost a hundred dollars on the 46 gallon tank (its missing the glass lid and light fixture anyways!). I tried picking a lot of plants that don't need the CO2, so hopefully that's something i can save up for and get down the road.

Good that the light is missing, since it wouldn't be what you wanted anyway. Now you don't have to spend the money buying something you don't need only to replace it later. You can probably get your boss to order the glass top for you, but your T5HO fixture should come with mounting legs that sit it up on the frame, so you don't have to buy the lid if you don't want to. I don't use CO2 at all and some of my favorite plants are Rotala indica, jungle val, crypts of all sorts, Brazilian pennywort (beautiful floating plant), Hygrophila corymbosa (great background plant), dwarf sag, and of course the really easy stuff like java fern, java moss, and anubias. There are a lot of really cool anubias plants in the hobby.

Good that the light is missing, since it wouldn't be what you wanted anyway. Now you don't have to spend the money buying something you don't need only to replace it later. You can probably get your boss to order the glass top for you, but your T5HO fixture should come with mounting legs that sit it up on the frame, so you don't have to buy the lid if you don't want to. I don't use CO2 at all and some of my favorite plants are Rotala indica, jungle val, crypts of all sorts, Brazilian pennywort (beautiful floating plant), Hygrophila corymbosa (great background plant), dwarf sag, and of course the really easy stuff like java fern, java moss, and anubias. There are a lot of really cool anubias plants in the hobby.

The T-5 does have the mounting piece that sits above the tank... Im just worried that the one we have at work wont fit the 46 gallon since its such an odd length.

As far as the lid goes... Id just be worried that fish would jump out. Im planning on stocking tetras and rams...

I posted a new thread on what kind of plants and fish Im thinking about stocking... maybe you could take a look and tell me what you think?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/plant-choices-and-stocking-177034.html

It's not an odd length at all- should be a 3 foot tank (mine is). You'll need a 3 foot fixture. The 3' T5HO fixtures use 39W bulbs. I'd go with a double bulb fixture since you do not want to use CO2.

Back
Top Bottom