Plant Choices and Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive spent the better part of this week researching different types of plants for the 46 gallon bowfront I will be doing.

I would like some opinions on the different types I've picked out... I dont plan on doing all of them, but the plants I looked up, I tried to keep in the same lighting/PH range, and I tried for hardier plants since I am new to planted aquariums. Availability and price were big factors, too.

Here goes...

Foreground:
-Crypt parva
-Eleocharis aciculars (Dwarf Hairgrass)
-Hemianthus micranthemoides (Baby Tears)

Midground:
-Crypt pontederifolia
-Microsorium pteropus (Java Fern)
-Rotala roundifolia (Rotala Indica)
-Shinnersia rivularis (Mexican Oak Leaf)

Background:
-Hygrophila difformis (water wisteria)
-Vallisneria gigantea (Jungle Val)
-Vallisneria spiralis (Italian Val)
-Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort)

I will be using eco-complete for substrate, an aqua clear 40-70 filter, a T-5 fixture with a floramax bulb, and flourish plant fert.

For stocking... I'm thinking:

-2-4 German Blue Rams (Id prefer Bolivian Rams, but i cant find them any where in my area and I dont want to order online)
-6 Red Minor Tetras
-6 Black Skirt Tetras
-6 Cardinal Tetras
-1 Bristlenose Pleco
-3 Cory Catfish
-10-15 Ghost Shrimp

Advice, Suggestions?

Ive spent the better part of this week researching different types of plants for the 46 gallon bowfront I will be doing.

I would like some opinions on the different types I've picked out... I dont plan on doing all of them, but the plants I looked up, I tried to keep in the same lighting/PH range, and I tried for hardier plants since I am new to planted aquariums. Availability and price were big factors, too.

Here goes...

Foreground:
-Crypt parva Lucky you, if you can get your hands on it. Great choice.
-Eleocharis aciculars (Dwarf Hairgrass) This one's kind of a pain. Does better with CO2 and higher lighting IME. I wouldn't really recommend it for a first time planted tank.
-Hemianthus micranthemoides (Baby Tears) I can't keep these alive for squat and I've had planted tanks for years. You could maybe sub in Lilaeopsis brasiliensis or Dwarf sag- these make good foreground plants and are much easier to keep.

Midground:
-Crypt pontederifolia Nice, easy plant and a very pretty light green color.
-Microsorium pteropus (Java Fern) This one's super easy to keep.
-Rotala roundifolia (Rotala Indica) I grow this like crazy with no CO2. Very pretty pink color.
-Shinnersia rivularis (Mexican Oak Leaf) No experience with this one.

Background:
-Hygrophila difformis (water wisteria) This is easy to keep.
-Vallisneria gigantea (Jungle Val) You'll have tons in no time. Great plant.
-Vallisneria spiralis (Italian Val) Same for this.
-Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort) This never does well for me when planted in the substrate so I consider it a floating plant.

I will be using eco-complete for substrate, an aqua clear 40-70 filter, a T-5 fixture with a floramax bulb, and flourish plant fert. I would go with a double bulb fixture for this tank.

For stocking... I'm thinking:

-2-4 German Blue Rams (Id prefer Bolivian Rams, but i cant find them any where in my area and I dont want to order online)
-6 Red Minor Tetras Known fin nippers
-6 Black Skirt Tetras Same for these
-6 Cardinal Tetras Great choice with rams
-1 Bristlenose Pleco Great choice
-3 Cory Catfish Bump this up to 6 IMO
-10-15 Ghost Shrimp Should be fine

Advice, Suggestions?

Comments in purple. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I think I'll take your advice on the dwarf-sag instead. I really like the look of it.

The crypt parva Im probably going to order online from aquariumplants.com or something along those lines... Its got great reviews.

Do you think I should do bloodfin tetras, rasporas, and/or zebra danios instead of the red minors and black skirts?

Those would be fine, or you could keep the cardinals and do bloodfins or rasboras (I assume you are talking about harlequin, although espei or hengeli would be good too).

Think this is better?

3 Rams, hopefully two females and a male. After looking it up, Ive heard that the male can pester a single female too much, so its better to have a pair of females.

8 Harlequin Raspora
8 Cardinal Tetra
5 Cory Cats
1 Bristlenose catfish
Ghost Shrimp

Back
Top Bottom