Plants = Fish Comfort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know it looks like this post should go into the planted tank forum but I'm thinking they already know this. It was something I had never even considered.

I just added quite a lot of plants to my tank. All of the sudden I'm seeing a lot more of my fish than I ever did before. I don't think that it's because they are crowded, I think it is because they are more comfortable.

The fish that liked to hide all day are suddenly out and playing around in the open spaces. Sure they dart into the plants when spooked but for the most part they are out in plain view.

This is changing the whole mood of the tank and I think it's a good thing.

Add more plants!

I agree. I have some shelldwellers that used to do nothing but hide. I added some Anubias and the next day, they began venturing farther from their shells.

Fish that have hiding places are more likely to come out knowing they can retreat to quite a few spots. Fish that have limited hiding spots seem to save them almost by waiting there.

Absolutely, the more cover a fish has the safer it feels. So it will come out more since it knows it has many places to retreat to.

not only that, but one bunch of anubis, one java plant, can significantly reduce nitrate levels in your tank, and help oxygenate the water column, increasing overall health for your fish.

Plants are a great addition to nearly all tanks. You don't even need a super expensive light setup either. Just pick low-light plants and go for it.

The fish colors are better too. My SAE's are showing a golden sheen at certain angles that I dit not notice before. And the rummy nose look like you dipped them head first in red ink!

I'm so pleased!

Absolutely!!!!

Plants (live or plastic) make fish feel more secure - knowing that they can dive for cover should the need arise. Even if your 'plants' look like hot pink pipe brushes, the fish will still appreciate the hiding spots they provide. :)

Live plants have the added advantage of sucking pollutants out of the water. You don't have to be Tom Barr to have a nice planted tank either so long as you have 1 watt per gallon lighting.

Java moss and anacharis are like crabgrass - they grow like nuts under most conditions and are darn near impossible to kill! They can be attached to objects, trained to grow along the tank bottom, or simply allowed to float around. They both get nice and thick just the way fish like them.

i am a really big advocate of live plants. all three of my freshwater tanks have live plants in them for the health of the fish. Only one is a concentrated fully planted tank. But even my mbuna tank has a smattering of plants and a covering of guppy grass. It keeps the water so much healthier, and adds beauty and color to the fish, and the tank.

as for plastic plants, i do not advocate them. too often, the blades of the plants have sharp edges that can injure fish, who like to burrow into the leaves.

Keeping a small amount of live, low light plants is not difficult. If you must go faux, use silk plants.

The downside of plants. Once you have plants in a tank any non-planted tank looks really really empty :) The goldfish tank looks like a desert compared to the community tank.

Must plant the rainbowfish tank now, but first need more light.

How would one go about planting a 90gal tank with an Oscar + others (Severums, festivum, pleco etc)? I'd love it if I could.

I guess some tanks weren't meant to be planted :)() ?

amosf said:
The downside of plants. Once you have plants in a tank any non-planted tank looks really really empty :) The goldfish tank looks like a desert compared to the community tank.

Must plant the rainbowfish tank now, but first need more light.

After seeing my planted tank my MIL wanted to add plants to her tank...they are goldies housed just for the winter....they ate everything down to the stems....not a one left....:( She is not giving up though....lol, she is quite the non aquatic gardener so we will see...since then she is feeding her goldies some lettuce and hoping that will keep them happy with some fresh stuff. I gave a couple of tougher plants this time, we will see... :)

But I am proof that you can have a great planted tank without a huge investment of money. When planning this tank I started with plastic...and then I discovered this board and the planted tanks pictured made me want to try....it has been an adventure and I LOVE it! My fish too have better color and as I added more plant mass I even see my dwarf frogs now and they always hid before. :)

goldfish are notorious plant eaters. try some tough broad leafed plants like anubias.

my goldies leave alone vals, anubuis, a few swords (but ate the red one, errrr), mondo grass, toall spiraling leaves and 1 other I can't think of the name off hand. It tall and spiked green and white. Sorry I know that wasn't much of a description.

Back
Top Bottom