Platy Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thribz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I found I dead platy this morning. She was starting to look a bit discoloured yday. I have noticed for a couple of days my other platy is clamping her top fin down, not eating and swimming very weirdly. I have put her in a breeder container and she isn't eating. Can someone please help?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403501370.639101.jpg

Can you tell us a bit about your tank? Specifically:

Size?
Stock?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)?
Your water change schedule and amount.
How long the tank has been set up?
Any changes to the tank recently? New stock, new decor, etc.

60L tank
Tank been running for 8 months
Stock hasn't changed for 6 months
2 dwarf gourami
4 neon tetra
5 glow light tetra
4 black phantom tetra
Sand substrate
All live plants
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 6.8
Don't know nitrate but seem to be getting a bit of algae
20% water change every 2 weeks

I would definitely do some research on swim bladder. It could be the issue and It seems common with platys. Also as a side note I would personally up the water changes to once a week. Good luck!

You dont seem to be changing much water. A lot of people swear by 50% weekly.

In your two week period you are changing out 12litres at 20% biweekly where many people in the same situation would change 60litres in the same timespan. 30litres per week.

Maybe your nitrate readings are high and its affecting the fish

Definitely increase wc's at least 25% per week, at least. Would be a good investment to get a nitrate test kit. Good luck, it's awful when your fish gets sick.

Ok. I will do a 20-25% weekly. What should my nitrate levels be at?

Sent from my iPhone using

Does she have white stringy poo? She looks thin. That can be a sign of intestinal parasites. Metro and/or Prazi if she does. I agree wholeheartedly on upping the water changes, quantity and frequency.

Yes she did have white stringy poo when I looked yday. Since I have put her in the breeder tank. She has perked up and has started eating. How do I get her better now then?

Will my other fish catch the metro or prazi? What do I need to do?

Metronidizole or Praziquantel are the medications you can use to treat internal parasites. I think I would try Metro first if you can get it. Follow the directions on the package. I can get that one at my local LFS, but Prazi I have to order online. There are different brand names that have these meds in them. Look at the ingredients or ask someone. Prazipro is the praziquantel brand I have and I was the metro I have is made by Fishvet. Be sure to remove the carbon from your filter while you treat, but don't remove the whole media or you will send your tank into a cycle and cause her more stress. Keep her water nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might not be a bad idea to treat the whole tank. I would try to observe the poo of the other fish and make a judgment.

I would have to treat the whole tank as that's the only tank I have. So take the carbon stones out but keep the media in the filter yeh?

Nitrate should be 20 or less, some people go as high as 40, but try to keep it lower than that. Good luck. I had a fish with internal parasites, with treatment he was okay.

[ QUOTE=Thribz;2976740]I would have to treat the whole tank as that's the only tank I have. So take the carbon stones out but keep the media in the filter yeh?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using[/QUOTE]

You can soak the food in the metro before you feed rather than treating the water column if you want. This is supposed to be more effective, but only if the fish is still eating, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom