platy proliferation - a stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok -this is basically a stocking question, because I don't necessarly trust aqadvisor.....

29 gallon tank - set up since summer.
3 zebra danio (1 is a glofish)
5 neon tetras
and 9 platies. all but one were born in the tank. lost 2 of the original 3 a few weeks ago....
one Laaaarrrrrge one,
1 ~5 months old
4~ 3 months old
3 ~1.5 months old

I would like to add a couple more danios and maybe a couple more neons, but I am concerned about the platy issue since they poop soooooo much.

Should I see if the lfs will take some of the platies? am I overstocked at current numbers once the little guys grow up?? Can I add a couple more tetras/danios? anyone want a mm platy? lol.

I love mm platies. But at any rate platies are not that dirty. Gold fish are the worst of all fish. As long as you gravel vaccum every week or so you will be just fine. But I wouldn't add more than five more to the tank. Hope this helps.

good gravy! compared to my danios and tetras they seem like super poopers! Maybe the black sand make it more noticible?

No it is the sand in general. When you use gravel the waste is barley noticeable. Sand is most commonly used for salt water because they are cleaner than fresh water fish.

Back
Top Bottom