Pleco & Bannana Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Clown Pleco and recently added a Bannana Plant. The Bannana Plant sent two shoots to the surface with lilly pad like leaves. The other fish seemed to like to play around the stems so I left them be. The other day I noticed they seemed to be wilting and a couple days later they are gone. Vanished from the tank, just the stems laying of the surface. Could my Pleco have come to the surface to eat them at night?? What is the best way to trim the shoots back?

I have a clown pleco too. I had also had problems with it eating my banana plants. I believe the reason he was is because I didn't know it really enjoyed wood. As soon as I combined wood with algae wafers he hasn't really created a huge problem.

As for the trimming, I just use my thumb nail when the leaves look like they are wilting or get a hole or just look bad. Really a neat plant, I need better lighting to get it to the leaves to the top of the tank. Great coverage for the middle of the tank though.

Mine lives under a piece of driftwood, and I drop algae wafers in three or four times a week. The plant had been there awhile, but I dont see any other explanation he must of chomped them. I use a life glo bulb, only about 1W/gal and had no trouble getting the shoots to the top.

that is strange. Is there any other fish that could be the culprit? It is wierd that the suspected pleco is going up to the top...

My pleco would swim on the surface for food when he smelled it. It could be that he was just replacing driftwood. Is it a tough stem plant or weak?

Fairly strong, he would have to be going out of his way to gnaw at it, and tear it apart.

Back
Top Bottom