pleco attacking :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loki azrial

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my blind goldfish (scarface) he's fine with the others, I'm thinking its maybe that scarface is swimming to close to the pleco's (doug) castle ? I've never had a problem before but then scarface could see out of 1 eye before but now he's completely blind, could that be why dougs attackin? he's usually a gently giant and he is not agressive with any other fish

loki Xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
also im in a dilema if he keeps it up because the only other tank i have is a small 8 gallon 1 and pleco is about 5 or more inches! so theres no way he can go in there also the small tank has no filter its home to 6 neons and a guppy at the moment

Many Goldfish keepers have experienced problems with plecos. A pleco will suck the slime coat off of a goldfish especially if the pleco is a larger size. Your goldfish being blind makes him a perfect target. For the safety of your goldie I would remove the pleco to another tank or try to re home him.

I thought plecos only sucked the slime coat if there was not enough food or algea for them? he's definitely not hungry, I have removed him from the tank though for now I'm gonna have to hunt for a bargain tank (not parting with him even tho he's a pain in the butt) lol

loki Xxx

loki azrial said:
I thought plecos only sucked the slime coat if there was not enough food or algea for them? he's definitely not hungry, I have removed him from the tank though for now I'm gonna have to hunt for a bargain tank (not parting with him even tho he's a pain in the butt) lol

loki Xxx

Common Plecos can get territorial. And get huge. Think 125g tank !

Their bioload is also very large so big tank and big filtration.

They also are active at night and can harm slow moving Fancy Goldfish by accident if they get startled. Plecos are very spiky.

Back
Top Bottom