PLeco, eating fish food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
When its time 2 feed the fish, my pleco will come to the surface and scare any other fish away ( it being the biggest fish) anywho, it will come to the surface and *try* and swim upside down and eat the fish food, after getting that wrong and then spazing out, it will push the food to the glass side and eat it that way. Anywho, my question is, is it ok for a pleco to eat normal fish food?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Andy.

yes, of course, they are not only algea eater, they eat a variety of things. Plecos do need a little meat in their diet which is founf in normal fish food. My pleco (R.I.P) used to do this all the time.

Agreed, it won't hurt him. However, are you feeding him things other than just algae? (I'm assuming he's a common, correct me if I'm wrong!) Plecos au natrual are made to eat lots of low calorie plant matter so need lots of veggie things to eat...not just algae. (Again, this is assuming he his a common and not one of the more rare types). Mine goes after the food for the corys only if he doesn't have veggies for himself. When they are available he's much more interested in them.

well it is called "fish" food...

plecos for the most part, arent real big algae eatters, sure they eat some when their younger, but alot of plecos live down deeper in the amazin river, where there is no light, and therefore, no algae, if anything algae is just a treat for them

if your plecos going to the top for food, that means theres not enough for him to eat at the bottom. if you make sure some flakes end up at the bottom, the pleco wont scare others from the top

What kind of flakes do you feed your fish? Is it a common pleco?

Mine likes green beans and algae wafers. If he eats the flakes, I guess he gets them off the bottom. The only time he goes up top is when I hear him splash at night.

my plecos eat everything. Fish food won't hurt him. Especially if it is a nice mix of meat and veggies. Try to toss in some romaine lettuce, zuchinni, carrot, or green beans for him. Mine even like apples and oranges.
Don't be surprised if the others give those things a taste.

My pleco eat anything I put in the tank. Zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, green beans, flake food, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, spirulina wafers, tubiflex worms, grindal worms, blood worms, nightcrawlers, HBH crab and lobster bites, Tetracolor granules extreme with Cyclop-eeze (his favorite actually), grapes, etc..etc..etc..

Just make sure he gets enough roughage in zucchini and cucumber and vegetable/algae disks and wafers and it should be fine.

Then again I could be wrong but if I am someone will surely let me know.

hey ya all, thanks for the help, i just wonted to make sure, and yeah its a common pleco, and i feed him cucumber and bloodworms all the time, and he's happy and healthy. I think i'll try some different foods though, looking at what you feed yours "fish_4_all" lol.

Thanks again everyone, i just wonted to make sure he was not harming himself. :)

Andrew

They certainly do seem to like variety. :) Mine loves zucchini, cucumber, squash, apples, pears, spinach and mushrooms (which I can't recommend cause it makes a mess in the tank--even if you don't give him the gills). Mine doesn't seem to like either carrots or sweet potatos (maybe he doesn't like the color? :) ), although others have said theirs do. When he has veggies, he rarely seems interested in other foods-- although they are omnivores. Mine also likes the spirulina wafers...just for other suggestions! :)

unfortuantely for my BGK, plecos like you said random, will eat bloodworms. i always have to chase the pleco away every night at this time

Back
Top Bottom