Pleco is NOT eating algea anymore!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Grr...I flipped on my tank light today, and the ship decoration and most of the BIG rocks are covered in a fine layer of algea. I know that this is because the front door is left open alot lately (the light shines right on the tank), but the pleco just hides in the ship and ignores it. The shark nibbles on a section or two then flits off, and leaves the algea. Any ideas on what to do? I am getting tempted to exchange him for some golden algea eaters!!

yeah i think common plecos when they get big their more of a meat/protein diet.

but i dont know about other species. yeah i think golden algae eaters are a color morph of oto's so im sure it'll be fine. just give the pleco like a couple days to see if it just was a short time thing. if not go for it.

How big do the goldens get? I am (don't anyone laugh) deathly scared of plecos...they get monsterous!!!

I'm looking for something that will devour algae and stay small!

not all of them. common plecos are the biggest and i think they get 18". the rest like rubber lipped and bristlenose (the most common im this area) only get like 4"

Common pleco will start to be "lazy" and stop eating the algae in the tank as they grow bigger, not unless there's no food around until he has reason to do that.

I have the same problem. My tank was green because of the algae on the glass. But do I saw my pleco sucking the rocks and saw it pooping. So I guess it's just very picky about the location :p . I have to clean my the tank with the algae scrubber. My friend is offering me some snails, but I shudder to think about them breeding .... I have enough trouble with active platies

if its apple snails they'll be fine. but if its the pest snails then they'll breed out of control.

While plecos WILL eat algae, I don't know if I would get one specifically for that purpose. I have read that they will only eat certain kinds of algae (they prefer brown) and then, as has been mentioned, will get lazy about eating it as time goes on (especially if there is leftover food for them to eat in the tank).

Personally, I put a chinese algae eater in my aquarium to take care of my algae problem, and just one of them has completely cleaned up my 38 gallon aquarium! He eats off of the glass, the decorations, the plants, everywhere! He may eventually get too big for my aquarium, and I may one day replace him with a few Otocinclus, which I have been told by my LFS are also exceptional for cleaning a tank of algae. I would have gotten them right away, but nobody but Wal-Mart had any, and I didn't want to wait 2-3 weeks of QT before I got my algae problem under control. Check them out, I think they are great.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=923

I have a clown pleco in my tank too, but my reading says he won't get bigger than 4-1/2"!

Paul

PS - I think most fish will nibble at algae if they are hungry, but won't clean it actively like the suckermouth cats.

Your Plec needs have changed,as they get older they require more than just the algae in your tank. I found a really informative little site for to read up on your plec's needs, http://www.plecos.com/art_robert_fenner.php
If you are looking for a fish that will primarily sustain itself on algae then the SAE and the Otocinclus are really good canidates but even they will need and appreciate some supplemental veggies.

Goodluck!

Your Plec needs have changed,as they get older they require more than just the algae in your tank. I found a really informative little site for to read up on your plec's needs, http://www.plecos.com/art_robert_fenner.php
If you are looking for a fish that will primarily sustain itself on algae then the SAE and the Otocinclus are really good canidates but even they will need and appreciate some supplemental veggies.

Goodluck!

ChileRelleno- I do not want him to live exclusively on algae, but my sunken ship display (in which he hides) is completely covered in algae, and he just lays on the gravel, once in a blue moon he'll attach himself to the tank wall.

Anyway, OTO's are good at algae cleaning? My shark is the only other one providing any clean-up duty. These OTO's also stay small, right? *Shivers* 3 feet...no thanks!!

Unfortunately common Plecos are far too common in pet stores. There are many smaller algae eating fish, but they are typically more sensitive and more expensive than the Common Plecs. Otos are a good choice but they are sensitive.

Yes, Oto's are very very good at cleaning up algae, BUT, they pretty much only eat "green algae", so what type of algae you have cultivated so well is of some importance. Also as previously stated Otocinclus are very sensitive upon initial introduction to a new habitat, it is not uncommon to lose 3-4 out of 5 fish when introducing, often for no apparent reason.
They are picky about clean well-aged/maintained water, a mature tank is a must. They do better with atleast a few live plants and some slate or wood to hide under and rest on, also they will need to have food supplemented if they clean up too well.
Oto's stay very small, 1.6" is about max for these little algae vacumns.

Another good choice is the SAE aka False Flying Fox, do not get a Flying Fox, they are very similar and easily confused.

Back
Top Bottom