Bristlenose pleco not eating for weeks. Sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this tank/setup running for about 6 years now, and my bristlenose pleco has been in the tank for about 5.

He's seemed happy and healthy most of this time but for the last few weeks he's been laying low, and not eating. He mostly hangs out on his favorite piece of driftwood.

The tank is 23 gallons, planted, running an Aquaclear 50 filter, and also houses rummynose tetra, cardinal tetra, and panda corys. The stocking of the tank hasn't changed for many months - maybe a year?

I usually feed algae wafers as well as regularly offering zucchini - and this was a fav of my pleco for years, but now he won't touch it.

I've been having algae trouble with my tank recently (trying to feed less, keep the lights on less) but the water parameters are all fine. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, all basically 0.

I usually do a 25% water change once a week with a siphon, and clean around the plants/bottom of the tank.

The pleco doesn't seem to have any spots or anything obviously wrong with him, he's just acting low energy and not eating.

What can I do for him?

Back
Top Bottom