Pleco is sick? Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starmagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm worried that there is something wrong with my Sailfin Pleco (Pterygoplichthys Gibbiceps). It seems that he has white-ish specks on him. I can't tell if it is dead skin peeling off or ich. If it is ich, what should I do?

I uploaded pictures.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 73
If your Pleco is eating and acting normally, not glancing off rocks or shimmying, chances are he is ok. How are the other Fish? Is the Pleco a new addition?
If it does turn out to be ick there are numerous medications available with varying instructions. I prefer the medication free method.
-raise water temp. Up to 86 degrees
-15% to 20% WC (gravel vac) every other day for 10 days.
-some members add a little aquarium salt as well.
I'm certain that other AA members more experienced with ick meds. Will offer advice soon.
It's been my experience that Plecos and catfish are very disease resistant and are usually last to get I'll. Good luck.

Hello, V227! I appreciate your response. My Pleco is eating and acting normally as far as I can tell. He doesn't live with other fish but instead a female Reeves Turtle. I've had him in this tank since May 31 when he was small.

If it is ich you should remove him form the tank and put him in a Quarantine tank before he infects the other fish. Other than that the guy above me gave the best advice.

Back
Top Bottom