Pleco Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does the Pleco poo alot because there is so much algea in the tank ?

It is because of their diet. Remember what goes in has to come out.

Algae on plants

It is because of their diet. Remember what goes in has to come out.

I have plastic plants in my tanks and have been wondering why there is so much algae on them all the time. I have a common pleco in my 55g, but no pleco in my 29g. The algae is always on the tops of the plants. Am I doing something wrong?

I was told and a read in various places that common plecos with the exception of some bristlenose varieties aren't that efficient in eating algae. They can start off when they are small but as they get larger they get used to eating other stuff (i.e. fish food or algae wafers). Moreover, they are heavy bioload producers too. Otocinclus are far better at algae eating to bioload ratio.

It could be old food on the plastic plants and not algae and I have bristlenose and they are great algae eaters I got a rock from a friend wiv lots of algae on it and he actually made me buy the bristlenose to show me how good they are and I was amazed I woke up the next day and the rock was clean lol

Anything could be food. If you have other fish in the tank, you're feeding them. The leftover food will be in the pleco's tummy after the lights go out.

Pleco's are very dirty fish, you'll have a lot of maintenance

Back
Top Bottom