Pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just tore down a planted tank that failed miserably. I have decided that I'm going to try my hand at chiclids. Until I have the dough for my hard scape and chiclids themselves, I have my beloved pleco in there by himself with some driftwood to gnaw on.
My question is, do I need to turn on the lights for him or is the ambient daylight enough? It's a 29 gallon with T-5 lighting.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the tanks bare than lights off is better..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You don't need lights. The pleco would probably be happier with them off.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but with only the pleco in there, won't the cycle be lost?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but with only the pleco in there, won't the cycle be lost?
It will not be lost. If you dumped a full load of fish in it all at once you may see a mini-cycle but that is nothing like starting over.

Oh wow....I never thought about the cycle being lost. I suppose I could add a few fish and then transfer them to my other tank when I get the chiclids. Thanks for the heads up

Oh wow....I never thought about the cycle being lost. I suppose I could add a few fish and then transfer them to my other tank when I get the chiclids. Thanks for the heads up

That's what I would do just to be safe... Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it that much. The cycle is not going to be lost as long that pleco continues to produce waste which it will do if you continue to feed it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Especially with a pleco, in a 20 gallon tank a 4" Bristlenose pleco will account for up to 35% of the bio load. Just feed him daily and your biofilter will keep on keeping on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom