Plecos eats cucumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nam69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question on how often I should keep out cucumber in my feed clips for them Plecos. My tank is spotless and I do drop some sinking pellets for them. I just dont want to do them harm by giving them too much cucumber to eat at will. Is this a problem? There are two of them in a 75 set up with some Cory cats. The Plecos are eating a slice each a day. Everyone looks happy , water is in great shape, just worried about giving them too much of a good thing and what else would you feed these guys to mix it up for them

Do you feed them the algae wafers? I think they will scavenge food off the bottom as well. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

yes I throw them down on the bottom but right now they seem to like these seedless cucumbers better. I just dont want them to strave. I had these before and they died on me, now my water is perfect and I want to try and prevent that

personally i replaced the cucumber when theyd finished it. mine always seemed to go and eat a bit every so often, never tried to eat it all in one go. if your worried just give them some every other day/every 3 days or so. they can go a surprising time with no food at all so i wouldnt worry about starving them. how often do you give them pellets? daily or every other day? either way this will keep them fed. the cucumbers are an additive.

I have been putting shrimp pellets on the bottom as I ran out of wafers, thanks for the input

yeah i would replace the cucumber everyother day or so. they can go quite a while with out food.

Back
Top Bottom