Pond Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
This little guy hitch hiked on some plants. Can it be identified from these photos? He was trying to hide under the lip of the tank. It seems to be growing like a weed.

snail2.jpg

snail.jpg

Looks like a pond snail to me, but I'm no expert.

Incidentally, why do people hate pond snails but love mts? Do pond snails eat plants while MTS don't?

Yes, it's a pond ("physa") snail. I think they're great-looking, personally. They don't hurt plants. They don't fill your tank with snails unless you overfeed.

Hey, I just noticed that you all have my fingerprint now! 8O

I don't have a problem with them at all. In fact, I'm kind of getting into the whole snail thing.

How big do these get?

Well, I have to edit my post here... I had one of the little guys you have in your palm, the brown w/ gold spots... I now have identified the 1/2" snail it grew into as a brown ramshorn. That's not to say it's the same one I originally saw; this one could have been hiding somewhere but I think I would have seen him. I moved a chunk of driftwood and found a smaller dead ramshorn, which I think starved when I had no fish and was not feeding the tank for a couple of weeks, and this guy ate him and grew fast...

In short, I bet the little guy you have grows into this:

Attachments

• ramshorn_snail_387.jpg
    ramshorn_snail_387.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom