Pool Filter Sand Question Color and cleaning in 125 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caliskier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have looked and looked for answers to questions on pool filter sand and have not found the answers I am looking for so here is my post.

Is all pool filter sand brown? I have bought some from HDepot and it is a dark tan. I don't know if I want the cardboard look on the bottom of my 125 gallon tank. Are there other colors, or does the tan actually look good after you get it set up?

How often do I have to sift it if I do not have the snails, and how often will I have to clean it with my python. It seams like my gravel looks pretty clean in my tank now, will adding sand make it so unsightly debris stay on top and have to be sucked out more often?

Are there other sands that any of you like better?

Thanks lots

We have pool filter sand that is white, then another tank that is slightly tannish in coloration. I've heard of red, but have never seen it before.

You need to stir the sand at every water change. I do it weekly. Clean the sand with the python at every water change similar to what you would do with gravel.

If you add sand to gravel, the sand will eventually shift its way through the cracks of the gravel.

To help camoflage the fish waste, mix in a bad of black sand. It will pepper the look of the tank slightly and will hide the fish waste. What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

I have clown loaches, pictus cats, bala sharks, leporanious facitus, pleco, tiger barb, headstand, rainbow shark.

White sand can either be purchased from the lfs or pool filter store. Some stores sell white or tan.

Thanks for all your help, I finally got some pool filter sand at my local pool supply place that looks white.

The stuff at HD was not good at all.

Back
Top Bottom