Positioning the powerhead for Bamboo Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am interested in getting a shrimp or 2, I will most probably opt for the Bamboo shrimp as they are already fairly big at my LFS and should be too big for a fish meal. At the moment the only definate's on my stocking list are 4-5 cories and some rummy nose tetra but i may try some keyhole cichlids which may be a problem. (btw the tank is empty at the moment)

The tank is a 20gal long 36"wide x 12"deep and 14.5" high.
The filter is a Fluval 205, so i am overfiltered but by a nice amount i think. :)

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders as you all probably know and pretty much rely on the water flow to catch the microscopic organisms that go through the filter. Originally i planned on having some surface movement caused by the powerhead, nothing too powerfull just a gentle circulation. Now i may have to re-think this idea to allow the shrimp easy access or at least access to the water that comes immediately out of the filter. I would like them to be able to sit on something that is in the way of the flow, a plant may be the answer but it would have to be strong enough to withstand the current?!

I am going for the heavily planted option but i don't really want the powerhead very low as the plants will recieve a blast. I was wandering how bamboo shrimp owners have their powerhead's positioned? and if anyone has any solution's to this problem. Also i would like to conceal the powerhead as much as possible when looking at the tank from the front. Although the shrimp need's come first. :lol:
TIA. :)

Not speaking from experience, as I have never had a powerhead, but I'd imagine if you positioned it an inch or so under the waters surface on the left or right side of your tank, and positioned it at a 45 degree angle or so, you would be able to place the plant directly under it and not suffer any violent currents. Or so I'd imagine.

Mine often sit on the intake tube for the HOB filter and use the flow there. You may find that they do that with your powerhead, so it may not matter too much where you place it.

jbarr said:
Not speaking from experience, as I have never had a powerhead, but I'd imagine if you positioned it an inch or so under the waters surface on the left or right side of your tank, and positioned it at a 45 degree angle or so, you would be able to place the plant directly under it and not suffer any violent currents. Or so I'd imagine.

Yeah i see what you mean there, i think that might work actually. It must depend on the plant aswell so i'd have to make sure it isn't a bacopa or cabomba which would probably break down or get damaged.

majolo said:
Mine often sit on the intake tube for the HOB filter and use the flow there. You may find that they do that with your powerhead, so it may not matter too much where you place it.

I didn't think of the intake tube! :oops: :lol: Now you mention it they would be able to use that if they can't get at the powerhead! :roll:
I would like them to have access to both because it gives them two feeding points and also because i think it looks funny! :lol:
Also it would be funny if they had somewhere fairly high up to sit as a two away from the activity of the tank and use their 'fans.'
I could position the powerhead at an angle like jbarr said and then maybe have some tall branchy wood that is in-line with the flow. I am planning on some taller branchy wood as a focal point so i could position the powerhead to shoot directly at the wood where the shrimp will hopefully sit! :lol:

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't know why it won't let me quote! :?

How would Bamboo's do with no access to the powerhead?
I just want to know so if i can't position the powerhead in a good position which is good for the circulation, plants, fish and is also easy for the bamboo's to access.

There is the intake tube which will probably be easier to access but there better off with the flow of water coming into the tank so i wan't them to be able to get to it.

I don't really want the powerhead in a low position although if there are no plants in it's way or fish that don't mind it then i don't have a problem with it. Also what might be challenging is i want to conceal it. If it's low down then this might be easier.

TIA

Back
Top Bottom