Possible Tank Upgrade / Best Place to Buy a 40G stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello guys,

Went into Petco today just to browse, and looking at the dollar per gallon sale kind of makes me want to upgrade my 29 gallon at home to a 40 gallon. I'm not dead set on this, but thinking if I ever do want to upgrade, it's definitely financially wiser to do it during this sale...

This would also mean that I'd need to look into a stand as well, metal or wood is fine, but it would be nice to have something with drawers or an area for storage, but if not, whatever. Where's the best place you guys would recommend getting a stand?

Any tips on how I'd go about moving everything out of the 29g and moving it into the 40? Sand, plants, filter, etc??

Current inhabitants of the 29g are 1 sunset gourami, 9 gold cloud mountain minnows, 3 mickey mouse platys, 6 amano shrimp and 1 assassin snail.

I don't suppose you know any local carpenters? I always have my wood stands custom made to my specs by my dad. There is such a difference especially in the type of wood used. I don't know how much you want to spend but if you want something nicer then you could inquire at the Wetspot. I'm sure they can refer a carpenter. Right now I use those sterlite rolling sets of drawers. They come in various colors at Target etc. I can post a pic later if I didn't explain that correctly. At least with the plastic carts you don't worry about water damage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the link! I'm really not much of a DIY person though, especially with building/painting but I'll ask my mom and sister if that's something they'd help me with, considering I'm more of a featherweight :'D

I suppose the storage aspect is more of a preference, but not a necessity. What are your guys' opinions on metal vs wood?

I prefer wood in my house because it looks nicer and can be done in a variety of finishes, stains, paints etc. Metal is what I use in the basement but that is on not display.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. I was wondering (cause it'll make a big difference in setting up a tank). Are you going to put the 40gal down in the same spot where you had the 29gal, or are you going to put it up in a different spot in your home?

I always just go with store bought stands, I'd probably loose a finger trying to be a carpenter. Then I'd feel bad if I had someone make a stand and I didn't like it. :oops: Wood is good, doors are great. :fish2:

Thanks for the link! I'm really not much of a DIY person though, especially with building/painting but I'll ask my mom and sister if that's something they'd help me with, considering I'm more of a featherweight :'D

I suppose the storage aspect is more of a preference, but not a necessity. What are your guys' opinions on metal vs wood?
Well it doesn't have to be painted. You could just staple a large piece of cloth you like to the wood so it hides all of the stand. I should warn you though, concrete blocks weigh aprox 30 pounds per block. 8 in. x 8 in. x 16 in. Concrete Block-597767 - The Home Depot

Hi. I was wondering (cause it'll make a big difference in setting up a tank). Are you going to put the 40gal down in the same spot where you had the 29gal, or are you going to put it up in a different spot in your home?

I always just go with store bought stands, I'd probably loose a finger trying to be a carpenter. Then I'd feel bad if I had someone make a stand and I didn't like it. :oops: Wood is good, doors are great. :fish2:

Yeah, that's also another predicament I'd be facing! My intention is to put the hypothetical 40g in the exact same spot the 29g is, but relocate the little table it's currently on. How would one go about moving everything? @_@ still just hypothetical if I want to upgrade though...I'm afraid if I do, there might be some changes in my cycle and I don't think that'd be too great on my fish or watet bill.m.

Yeah, that's also another predicament I'd be facing! My intention is to put the hypothetical 40g in the exact same spot the 29g is, but relocate the little table it's currently on. How would one go about moving everything? @_@ still just hypothetical if I want to upgrade though...I'm afraid if I do, there might be some changes in my cycle and I don't think that'd be too great on my fish or watet bill.m.

you wont have a cycle as long as you just use the same filter to start off with. what you do is you drain some water out into a 5gallon bucket and then put your fish in there. then drain out the rest of the water, clean your sand/decorations or driftwood what ever you got in there. and then just add it all to the 40g really simple honestly. especially when it comes to fresh water. Just get your water temp right and then put your fish in if you can match the water temp with what they are in.

I have 2 filters in there currently, one HOB and the other internal, so long as I have both I shouldn't really lose any BB correct?? I recently got some amano shrimp and might be a little concerned if they go through any sort of dramatic change or not enough biofilm, you know? :<

Back
Top Bottom