potting soil help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of potting soil I can use in an aquarium with only shrimp. Brand would be great if someone knows any

ADA (Aquasoil) Amazonia seems to be the brand enthusiasts swear by, but they're pretty expensive. If I were to have a shrimp only tank and I'm not breeding expensive crystal shrimp, I'd probably just go for the fluval shrimp stratum, it's much cheaper.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
ADA shrimp substrate seems to be the brand people swear by, but they're pretty expensive. If I were to have a shrimp only tank (with no expensive crystal shrimp) , I'd probably go for the fluval shrimp stratum, it's much cheaper.

Honestly I have never heard of either I was thinking something I could pick up at lowes, any suggestions for that one

Miracle Gro Organic Choice will work... it'll leech ammonia for a week or so, so you'll need to watch for that. It also floats, so you'll have to cap it with sand or gravel. The first month or two, the tank will look like crap. You'll have algae blooms like crazy, the water won't stay clear, and if you don't pre-soak it, you'll get 'stank tank syndrome' (as in, it'll stink). But... after that, IME, it's well worth it. I've got it in 3 of my 5 planted tanks and love it. It's basically MTS after it goes through that stage. You can mineralize it first, but I'm impatient.

EDIT: jetajockey posts that as I'm typing.. basically he's patient, I'm not haha

mfdrookie516 said:
Miracle Gro Organic Choice will work... it'll leech ammonia for a week or so, so you'll need to watch for that. It also floats, so you'll have to cap it with sand or gravel. The first month or two, the tank will look like crap. You'll have algae blooms like crazy, the water won't stay clear, and if you don't pre-soak it, you'll get 'stank tank syndrome' (as in, it'll stink). But... after that, IME, it's well worth it. I've got it in 3 of my 5 planted tanks and love it. It's basically MTS after it goes through that stage. You can mineralize it first, but I'm impatient.

EDIT: jetajockey posts that as I'm typing.. basically he's patient, I'm not haha

Hmmmmm. Well I wont have shrimp in for awhile or anything for that matter but why does it float and what do you mean by presoaking it

Back
Top Bottom